Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 132 mph DCB Mach 26

SVO 540
    Here is my story and I am sticking to it. At the LA boat show, I decided it was time for me to put another boat together and this time it would be a single engine cat. I had done alot of homework and decided that I would have GT Performance do the engine and rigging. I was about 12 hours from pulling the trigger on a blank 25 Daytona hull when I decided to call Dave at DCB. To my surprise, Dave was will to work something out with me that would be a joint effort between DCB and GT Performance. For me, this was a no brainer to go with the Mach 26 rather than the 25 Daytona. My goal was to one up the high standard that DCB puts into their boats.
    During the building process, which was about 6 months in total, I took a trip to Havasu with my wife and daughter and some of our friends. I think at the time my DCB was in the mold. Anyway, while at the river I saw this really bitchin blown Mach 26 on the other side of the channel. I decided that I would swim to the other side and go talk to the owner about his boat and get some ideas for my new Mach. For those of you who don't know, the channel is narrow and it only took me a few seconds to swim accross. Well, I found the owner but he didn't even want to give me the time of day. I ask a few questions, looked inside the boat, but was turned off by his cocky attitude so I left. I have mentioned this to several of my friends and they say "Just wait until you get your boat done and then you can show him who is boss" I give you this piece of the story so you can appreciate the rest of the story.
    Last weekend at Havasu was my first chance to stand on the throttle to see what it would do. I have a 120 mph gps speedo. As I stood on the gas, the needle quickly climbed all the way to 120 mph and was pinned there. The speed and rpm of the boat continued to climb as the needle was pegged at 120, I guess I need a new speedo, one that goes to at least 140 mph. My 132 mph speed comes from the following facts. I was spinning a lab finished 30 pitch prop with 1:25 gear ratio, 6100 RPM. The drive is IMCO with XR gears. 2 inch shorter lower and stand off box. With a 5% slip factor, the boat was running 132 mph. The scary thing is that I had to lift because I ran out of prop. I did not want to spin my motor any faster than 6100 as I have a hyd. roller cam and the spring pressure is limited. My motor is a 540 inch Ford. SVO block with Blue Thunder cylinder heads. 1471 Littlefield blower and fuel injected. It utilizes an enderle birdcatcher to conrtol air flow and an Autonics brain for the electronics. There is nothing better looking than a birdcatcher sitting on top of a 1471. It has an external belt drive for the cam and many other top shelf parts. You got to see this motor to believe it. It is huge with its tunnel ram style intake manifold, innercooler, blower and injector all stacked on top of the block. The engine made over 1000 hp on the dyno.
    I spoke with Dave at DCB yesterday to confirm slip % and MPH and he confirmed that 132 is the fastest pass ever by a Mach 26. As you would guess from Dave, he wants me to make a pass with a worked over 32 pitch prop to get even more speed out of her.
    If I thought the guy with the DCB on the other side of the channel was close to my performance, I would put on the 32 pitch prop and crank out an even bigger MPH number, but I don't think he is close. I must say, I have my eye on the HTM record of 143 mph.
    What do you think?
    Any Ford guys out there who would like to see a Ford with the mph record? I know DCB wants it.
    Does the owner of that DCB want to race?

RiverDave2
    Interesting story. Best of luck to ya breaking the record.
    RD

James'SS-24
    SVO 540, I'm a Ford fan too, but where did you get the intake to put on the blower? I've also read the the front of the Ford crank will break driving this kind of blower. Is that true? I've been toying with the idea of doing Ford power in my HTM. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

SVO 540
    James SS 24, I am glad to hear that you are a Ford guy. When it comes right down to it, the Ford is a better engine. It may cost a few more bucks, but I would put my Ford head to head with any bow tie out there.
    I use a Don Hampton blower intake manifold. The other manifold I would recommend is one made by Blue Thunder. Both are tunnel ram style, but the Blue Thunder is a sheet metal manifold. Both look great and flow massive amounts of air.
    Your concern of the crank shaft snout is a good one. I did what all the blown Ford drag racers and monster trucks like Bigfoot did. This is to have your crank shaft made with BBC rod journals and snout. This way you can run any BBC rod and your crank snout will be very strong. The one issue you will need to address is the front timing chain cover because of the BBC snout. Danny Bee makes an external belt drive for the cam that is made for Ford motors using a BBC snout. This is what I did however I know you can also modify the stock Ford front cover to allow for the BBC crank shaft seal.
    Did you know that in one of the last years the International Hot Boat Association "IHBA" had the Blown Gas Hydro and Blown Gas Flat classes, the guys who finished first were running blown Fords? It was Don Ney and Dino Warda. Also, the current points leader in Top Alcohol Flat is running a blown Ford. He has yet to loose a race in CA this year. Check it out on the IHBA web page.
    Let me know if you would like more info, I am happy to help.

fryzll
    Hey SVO 540, sounds like you have a really nice ride. Did you deal w/ Tony at DCB, hes a old friend of mine and a hell of a nice guy. Im a Ford guy and i've had some experience w/ hybrid F/I systems. My buddys boss has a deck boat(Tom Papp style) with a BBC (572ci I think) and he is running the old Crower mechanical manifold but its been converted to EFI. They set that manifold up w/ a TPS and weld bosses in it for the injectors. Arizona Speed and Marine set him up with the ECM and base map program. Its a really nice setup but yours sounds really nutty. How much boost is it making and what kind of fuel are you using. Dont get me wrong but it seems like 1000h/p is a little conservative for a setup like that, but then again im not to bright myself http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif . Post some pictures on here if you can. Good luck on the record, my balls arent that big http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Chris
    P.S. Is the boat going to be back at DCB and do they have any pictures? Id like to stop by and see it.

spectras only
    SVO 540, you'll make Drew Backlund [Spokane Washington]proud that you followed his footsteps going the stroked Ford way! There's nothing like a BB like that,a guy has a stroked 460 in a 1988 mustang running at Mission raceway 8.8sec on the 1/4 with a nitrous setup,all street legal.I have a spectra with a 429 ford, a spectra with a 454 LS-6,and share a 19 spectra with a 460.The 460 turns an "A" imp at 5600RPM with ease,and I can imagine what it would do with twin turbos or twin Prochargers http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif.Good luck with your ride and be safe!

SVO 540
    Fryzell, Thanks for your interest in my boat. I don't know Tony as I only worked with Dave. I did hear a rumor that Dave had to let a few guys go because of the slowing economy.
    My motor made between 1008 and 1080 hp on the dyno between 5800 and 6200 rpm. The boost on the dyno pulls maxed out at about 11 psi. On my Havasu speed run however, the boost was reading closer to 13 or 14 psi. My only explination for this is that at 120+ mph, alot of air is getting forced into the air intake. My blower and injector sticks up out of the engine hatch and is directly exposed to the oncoming air from the speed of the boat. Air is forced directly into the injector, unlike carbs that feed from the top. This situation is not created on the dyno. I would be interested in any other theories, ie elevation, temperature, different dyno gauge, etc. Also, any estimates on the additional hp 2 or 3 psi will create? For fuel, I run Av gas and add Marvel Mystery Oil to help lube the top end. I have had great results with this fuel and additive.
    If you give me your email address I can send you some pictures.
    I think the guy with the DCB who I mentioned previously has a Blosdale motor, 540 or 572 ci with a 1071 blower. Do you know who he is and if he wants to race?

SVO 540
    Spectras only, I know Drew Backland and he does a good job building Fords. He is who recommended the Don Hampton intake manifold to me.

Craig
    SVO, cool to see someone running a big Ford and turning some impressive numbers. If you have some pictures, I'd love to see them, I'm at mltdwn12@qwest.net. Was there a lot of work using the Ford with the drive?
    Craig

kab
    Mr.Havasucat has a blosdale motor but he seems pretty cool. Was the boat red and white? I'm three weeks away from pick up my new mach 26, can't wait. It wont have near the hp you have, but would love to see your mach run sometime in havasu. The rumors are true Tony was let go from DCB.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast