Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

Comming home this weekend from red rock i saw this boat, looking closer i noticed that the valve covers are straight up and down. It also looks as if the intake manifold hooks to the motor where the exhaust usually would on a V motor. What type of motor is this, anybody on the forums own this boat? Very nice looking, clean boat!
    http://reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/9046-1/DSCF3074.JPG
    http://reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/9043-1/DSCF3073.JPG

The engine is a NailHead Buick. The exhaust and intake ports have been swapped. You can see the exhaust coming out the back under the blower.
    The boat does belong to someone on the boards but I can't remember his name.

coolchange
    Think his name is Jerry(?) Seen this boat and its very clean. 64 Stevens? Post over in v-drives.

Fiat48
    And looks like it has a 4/71 blower.

hondajoey
    That is a really fine example of an old school motor, very nice looking rig there.

QuickJet
    I could of sworn I saw that boat @ Big River.

I could of sworn I saw that boat @ Big River.
    You probably did, i saw it on the 10 when i was comming home, he could have been at big river this weekend.

So how old of a motor is this? What size, anything special about them other than it's uniq look.

victorfb
    that boat was at freeboard challenged at big river a couple years back. i believe it is a 62 - 64 stevens. i took a ride in it and it was way cool. actually a pretty nice riding flat. the unique induction system is what got me though. a special cam was ground for the reverse induction. the main purpose is to take advantage of the larger valves for the exhaust since the now intake valves are being forced induced. this only works with forced induction but if you think about it, it makes sense. forcing the air/fuel in and needing to get it all back out. for the life of me i cannot remember the cubic inches of the engine, but it wasnt big and still made some nice hard pulls. the owner is a hell of a nice guy and if you get a chance to see it again, flag him down, im sure he would be more than willing to show you his incredibly unique boat. well worth the price of admission.

Buick built it in several displacements from around 53 to 66 as I recall. The later ones were 364, 401, or 425 ci. In 67 it was replaced with the 430 style engine (more traditional v-shape heads) which later evolved into the 455 ci.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast