Thread: Fuel problem.

jkh04200
    Need some help.
    84 228 merc I/O. 305 Chevy.
    Only had it out a twice this year and I'm running out of gas above 3000 RPM. After first trip I put a kit in the card. Don't think it ever had one. Everything was fine until I tried to open it up. Second trip I was gonna change the fuel pump but the man at the marine supply/service shop told me to replace fuel water seperator first. He didn't think it was the pump. On the second trip the b@#ch hauled ass. Made me realize I'm way under propped. Jumped up to 4800 without any trimming or anything. Pulled up to the beach and hung out for a while until everybody got there. Then it started again. Couldn't get over about 2200. Missing real bad and the plugs are bone white. I'm gonna check the sock in the tank and there supposed the be a anti-siphon check valve on the outlet of the tank. Any other ideas?
    Thanks.
    PS When I replaced the filter I blew into the line going back to the tank to make sure there wasn't a restriction. I'm leaning towards that pressure going back the other way momentarily cleaned the sock or dislogged the check??????

IMPATIENT 1
    make sure your tanks properlly vented,could be pullin a vacuum on the tank if vents clogged. did you set the floats properlly after carb overhaul?

jkh04200
    Yes Sir, I did set the float properly. I have the vent next to the filler neck and I get gas out of it when I fill the tank.

Cheap Thrills
    Could be water in the fuel too. since you changed the filter and it ran good for a few passes and then started loosing power sounds like you have a water soaked filter a good filter wont pass water and will cause it to lean out. if the filter has a drain valve on it drain it into a quart jar and check it for water. if it doesnt have a drain valve pull the fuel filter off and dump it into a pan/ jar and check it.
    C.T. :wink:

jkh04200
    Hey Cheap,
    I tried that this morning. Poured the contents into a glass jar at it was clean. Actually poured a little water in it, the jar, to make sure I could see it. You can definatley see the water I poured into it. I'm leaning towards maybe the sock or check valve in the tank.