Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's gutted except the engine and pump

77OMEGA
    I gutted the interior and most of the trim today. I will have to do some work on the floor. It is soft in the bow area. The transom will also be needing some work. The engine is frozen solid as a rock. The exhaust manifolds have cracks between the center bolt holes. Bummer!!!!! Well, I was looking for a project when I found this. Glad I don't have much in it ($650 with 2 trailers).
    I think I will probably start looking for a 454 and maybe a new pump.
    I attached some new pics.
    Kirk

IMPATIENT 1
    What's Up Okie! Glad To See Someone Else From My Area On The Boards!welcome!

Ken F
    Damn Kirk, you jumped on that like a bishop on a choirboy!
    I had to do floor & Stringer replacement on mine too. Got plenty of pics around on one of these many CD's! Transom sounds like it could get a little nasty...pretty well hidden up in under there.
    Youre not too far away...I'm in SW Missouri
    KenF

bakerjet
    i don't think your manifolds are hurt they cut them there now instead of letting them crack,when they get hot it will still seal...i hope
    oops forgot you were running an olds but this may still be true i would give'em a try at least.

I gutted the interior and most of the trim today. I will have to do some work on the floor. It is soft in the bow area. The transom will also be needing some work. The engine is frozen solid as a rock. The exhaust manifolds have cracks between the center bolt holes. Bummer!!!!! Well, I was looking for a project when I found this. Glad I don't have much in it ($650 with 2 trailers).
    I think I will probably start looking for a 454 and maybe a new pump.
    I attached some new pics.
    Kirk
    This is why they call them BustOutAnotherThousandSucker
    Welcome to ***boating :crossx: Shop the boards you will find the parts you need, most likely from someone here.
    Sleek

ONAROLL
    Omega,
    You have 4 months if your planning on running it this summer, thats a bunch of work and money in your pictures, rip down the old 455 and freshen it up, squirt some paint, build some seats and post whatever parts your in need of, I think you will find 455 stuff to be all over and cheap, I'll help ya out if your trying to get it done for this summer, I had alot of help on my rebuild last year from board members gathering hardware, let me know if ya need anything......Vic

77OMEGA
    Thanks For All The Replies So Far.
    What Is The Best Way To Cut Out The Floor To Replace The Stringers. I Have All Kinds Of Tools ( No My Dad Was Not A Tv Repair Man!!! ). I Just Don't Want To Cut Too Deep. Especially In The Bow Area. Do You Think A Roto Zip Set At About 1" Depth Would Do It, Or Should I Use A Cut Off Wheel?????
    Thanks,
    Kirk

gqchris
    I know when I replaced my stringers and floor last season, it was an EXTENSIVE job! Way more work than I ever imagined, took around 40+ hours of solid work, if not more. Mine were so rotted that I just carefully pried them away from the hull, the glass was so brittle they came right off, and any stubborn areas I used a grinder.
    Chris

Ken F
    Kirk,
    In your boat you have two stringers which run from the transom up to the front of the bilge. from that point on to the bow there is only one in the center. Take a skill saw, set it about an inch deep, and go for it. The hull is plenty thick on the bottom, trust me.
    I've got plenty of pics I'll look up tonight & try and get posted for you so you can see what is underneath where you are working. My bet would be that you end up replacing a lot more than you are thinking right now. The one place you want to be a little careful is under the cowels. They are kind of a bitch to get underneath, so don't cut that out if you can help it.
    I'll PM you my cell phone if you need assistance.
    Ken f

taylormanss
    hey 77omega where do ya live at on texoma ? a buddy of mine lives on texoma he has a magenta(pink )taylor sj . we are having a ***boat gathering at texoma memorial day weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast