Thread: Prop selction-20 ft pontoon w/50HP Suzuki 4 stroke

sigepmock
    Looking for some advice on prop selection for a 20' pontoon boat with a 4 stroke Suzuki DF50 (WOT range 5900-6500rpm's). We'll be running this in Havasu with a medium sized load on the boat, 4 adults and 2 kids. Boat was previously prop'd for Big Bear Lake. I haven't had a chance to check what's on the boat now but I know they re-prop'd it to run in the high altitude.
    Any suggestions? I tried to find an on-line selector guide/chart but couldn't find one.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Cole Trickle
    I would go with a labbed 30
    If you can't swing that much metal try a 28 and work your way down :crossx:
    A 20' Pontoon with a 50HP motor is great for Big Bear but when the wind picks up in Havasu you will be running in place. :idea:
    You will find this funny but my uncle has a similar set up and I asked him how long it took him to get from Riverland to Roadrunner and his answer was simple and to the point.(He said anywhere from a 12-24 pack depending on how fast the current is moving)
    Going with the flow of the water he can get home in about 2 hours.(3 mile ride)

sigepmock
    [QUOTE=Cole Trickle]I would go with a labbed 30
    If you can't swing that much metal try a 28 and work your way down :crossx:
    A 20' Pontoon with a 50HP motor is great for Big Bear but when the wind picks up in Havasu you will be running in place. :idea:
    QUOTE]
    Yeah that's what we're afraid of.....the prop on there now from Big Bear looks like it has a 2" pitch....the blades on the blender would probable get us along faster......That's why we're looking to get as much speed out of this thing as we can and we know having the right prop will make a world of difference. It's a four stroke 3 cylinder outboard so hopefully it has enough torque to spin a decent sized prop. I can tell it sure idles quiet.....
    We thought about upgrading the motor but the boat is only rated for a 75 hp max......so that 300x is going to have to wait. :cry: :yuk:
    Anyway if it can get us to the channel and maybe the sandbar and back we have the time....and a 24 gallon tank.....and 3 coolers :crossx:
    We rented a 24 footer with a 115 that was running more like a 65 and it did alright so we're hoping for the best....guess we better get it on the water and find out.
    Chris

Cole Trickle
    [QUOTE=sigepmock
    Anyway if it can get us to the channel and maybe the sandbar and back we have the time....and a 24 gallon tank.....and 3 coolers :crossx:
    Chris[/QUOTE]
    Sounds like you have the right frame of mind to make it work!!! :crossx:
    On a positive note in a month and a half it won't matter what prop your running!!! :crossx:

sigepmock
    [QUOTE=sigepmock
    Chris
    Sounds like you have the right frame of mind to make it work!!! :crossx:
    On a positive note in a month and a half it won't matter what prop your running!!! :crossx:[/QUOTE]
    $hit with gas prices like they are ....we may be spending a lot of time in the pontoon :yuk: :cry:
    And we'll definately be taking the pontoon out on the busy weekends.....too many crazy mofo's that don't know how to drive