Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on bringing my dog to the lake??

4day!!
    I have a 7 month old lab that i want to start bringing to the lake. Does anybody have advice on what to bring, keeping the boat clean, protecting the upholestry from claws,etc. How hot is too hot be be bringing your dog out there for a full day. Do you normally find a beach so he can do his business(cleaning it up of course). Let me hear your stories and advice..

little rowe boat
    We use to put those doggy booties on our dog. They protected the boat and his pad when we were walking on hot concrete or asphalt.

Mrs. casean
    This weekend will be my first time taking my 5 y.o. lab out, we adopted her a 5 months ago and finally taking her out. We got her the booties from Watson's so she can go in the boat and not ruin anything, plus the hot ground. I got her a life jacket just so if she does get tired while swimming, I'll feel better knowing she can float Where we will be from now on has a beach so she can stay on so that will be great! Other than that, I'm new at having a river dog

MrsSigEpMock
    We have had our dog out there since he was about yours age. Get boots. It is great for having them on the boat and hot ground & gravel. We have a yellow lab who is great out there. He loves the channel and sand bar. We pick him up and set him on the hatch for entry. He needs ground to go potty on, although he pees directly in the channel like the rest of us! There is a dog park on the island side of the channel. We usually will make a stop there and let him run around in there. Bring extra towels and a leash that has no metal parts. We of course don't do this but I have learned from car shows that dogs like to go around corners and metal chains and gel/paint don't mix. Just bring lots of water for him and maybe something familiar like a rubber toy from home. Don't bring anything rawhide, personal experience, it rots after getting wet and sitting in the 100+ heat. (peeyou) :crossx:
    If you really aren't afraid of getting yucky and think you dogs may be overheated, the normal temp for a dog is about 101-102. 104+ is a fever anything 106+ take to the vet. Keep him wet and in the shade and he should be OK for a whole day trip!!! They are fun to have but like kids, a lot of work and responsibility. It's great when you can teach them to distribute beverages too! Enjoy.

MrsSigEpMock
    ohh and most important, a small shop-vac for hair!!! :cry:

maxwedge
    On the off chance your lab swims with a largely non-effective overhand breast stroke, slapping/semi-drowning technique, instead of the more traditional dog paddle...you'll want to get her a life jacket. Just because they have webbed feet and champion water dog bloodlines, does't necssecarily mean they can swim well. Guess how I know?

MrsSigEpMock
    This weekend will be my first time taking my 5 y.o. lab out, we adopted her a 5 months ago and finally taking her out. We got her the booties from Watson's so she can go in the boat and not ruin anything, plus the hot ground. I got her a life jacket just so if she does get tired while swimming, I'll feel better knowing she can float Where we will be from now on has a beach so she can stay on so that will be great! Other than that, I'm new at having a river dog
    Did you end up getting the thick soled ones? That guy is pretty cool (and gay). We used them this weekend just at the park. Mav's feet were so sore from the rocks in the park, he wouldn't go anywhere unless he could stay on the concrete. I hope you have fun with Lacy!

MrsSigEpMock
    On the off chance your lab swims with a largely non-effective overhand breast stroke, slapping/semi-drowning technique, instead of the more traditional dog paddle...you'll want to get her a life jacket. Just because they have webbed feet and champion water dog bloodlines, does't necssecarily mean they can swim well. Guess how I know?
    We bought one but never use it. He is mostly in shallow water however he could use floaties on his tail. His but sinks. :rollside:

Mrs. casean
    That's funny! So I shouldn't worry if she swims like she's slapping the water and drowning A life jacket will just let me not worry about her getting tired after retrieving balls and rocks all day I got the floating kong tennis ball fetch toy and she loves it, so I'm sure she'll be wanting to play fetch all day

Mrs. casean
    Did you end up getting the thick soled ones? That guy is pretty cool (and gay). We used them this weekend just at the park. Mav's feet were so sore from the rocks in the park, he wouldn't go anywhere unless he could stay on the concrete. I hope you have fun with Lacy!
    Yep! The red/black ones w/ the double straps. She's not so sure about things going on her feet, we'll try again tonight... but she's got to learn, no booties, no boat! She got excited yesterday when I got her travel bag (yes she has her own travel bag ) and life jacket out, she was so happy to see it go in the trailer! So funny!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast