Thread: shaft log help

Bradf
    Wish i could post a pic, but we got a new peice (not sure what exactly to call it).. but on the v-drive shaft it couples together with the shaft log via a rubber hose... and has bushings in it to keep water out. It has a zert for filling with grease of course... but it also has a nother threaded hole in it that doesnt have anything in it.. anyone know what this is for?... our old peice didnt have this hole in it

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Wish i could post a pic, but we got a new peice (not sure what exactly to call it).. but on the v-drive shaft it couples together with the shaft log via a rubber hose... and has bushings in it to keep water out. It has a zert for filling with grease of course... but it also has a nother threaded hole in it that doesnt have anything in it.. anyone know what this is for?... our old peice didnt have this hole in it
    It was probably used as a dump for the water cooling the v-drive. Or if its small, maybe another zerk.

Bradf
    ahhhh. it all comes together now... thanks a bunch. esp for the speedy reply. (sitting on laptop next to boat scratching my head) lol

Moneypitt
    The bushing in the seal housing is probably an Aqualube type bushing. The water is needed for lubing the bushing. The grease, (marine) is to help seal the water out of the boat. Do not over grease, just a pump or so every now and then. It also depends on where the water comes in, sometimes it just washes the grease away. ..........MP

DUECE'SDAD
    I put the water to mine and havent burned up another bushing in 3 years ! ! !

GofastRacer
    Do not over grease, just a pump or so every now and then. It also depends on where the water comes in, sometimes it just washes the grease away. ..........MP
    Not necessarily a pump, just enough until you feel the slightest pressure or you will blow the seal!..

SANGER-RICH
    Do you have a picture I want to water cool my casale, or anyone out there, still looking for plumbing pics

RUSHIN ROULETTE
    It's best to use water pump grease, if you can find it..

GofastRacer
    Do you have a picture I want to water cool my casale, or anyone out there, still looking for plumbing pics
    Here's mine, I have a pickup on the other side that force feeds the v-drive and dumps in to the shaftlog!..
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...chmentid=14394