Thread: Torque Shift Prop Question

Chillin The Most
    HI Everyone,
    Does anyone have, or tried a torque shift variable pitch prop? I just read the story on them and watched their short video.
    I find it hard to believe on a hole shot starting out at a 11 or 14 pitch that you don't blow that right out of the water.
    Video is very impressive on big block stern drive.
    Once again anyone have any info or experience with them?http://www.dynomite.com/marine/torqu...rque-shift.htm
    Thanks, CTM

lakesmodified
    Originally posted by Chillin The Most:
    HI Everyone,
    Does anyone have, or tried a torque shift variable pitch prop? I just read the story on them and watched their short video.
    I find it hard to believe on a hole shot starting out at a 11 or 14 pitch that you don't blow that right out of the water.
    Video is very impressive on big block stern drive.
    Once again anyone have any info or experience with them?http://www.dynomite.com/marine/torqu...rque-shift.htm
    Thanks, CTM
    CTM, I tried one many years ago(~12yrs), I believe it was a first or second generation model. Anyways, it was on my 1979 21.5FT Regatta Mini Daycruiser, 351W Ford, 260HP OMC Mod 800 outdrive. The torque shift did work as advertized, though it had problems shifting back to the lower pitch while slowing. During the time I tried it, they had just come out with some updates (2nd or 3rd generation) that was supposed to rectify that problem. It had quite a bit of fine tuning available, and you just couldn't run it right out of the box. I always felt it was a great idea, but it just wasn't working completely right, the reason I didn't keep it.

HavasuDreamin'
    I have heard they still have similar problems (ie not shifting back properly, etc.). I know they don't work well for high horsepower applications. Good Luck

FASTERDAMITT
    I had one on a 21 ft. v bottom that was powered by a merc modified 200. Awsome acceleration! The set-up to where it worked perfect took many tests. Once its set up right you most likely won't have any problems for a season, but they do require maintenance due to the wear on moving components. It will feel like you have nitrous or 100 more hp. on take off but at top speed the same. 0-60 anyone?
    If you have a I/O and alot of HP/toque, you most likely will break you drive. Thats why I don't use the torqueshift anymore.

Bondo
    i've got one.!!! i LOVE it !!!!! it worked great out of the box,But of course i've been playing with the springs,+ cams,etc... the cup on the trailing edge keeps me from blowing out.. even at full trim, i can throw a hell of a rooster tail w/out blowout...(not very efficent,but a cool way to "wash" the docks)..
    i'm still "dialing in" but so far, drop the throttle, the motor Jumps to 4400rpms, the boat then VIOLENTLY tries to catch up..head snapping, gut wrenching, accelleration...Not Bad for a 1974 Starcraft 221 Islander Fully Loaded Charter Fishing Machine...43/44mphgps, in fresh water,.. 52mphgps in the salt.....the 11"pitch low gear let's me run the rpm at 1000, at trolling speeds..better oil,water flows than at idle...
    of ALL the $$$$. i've poured into this old tub, NOTHING has had a better return on $$$ spent.!!!
    Not bad for a boat that ran 28mph when i bought it 5 seasons ago....

WOODY
    I have one,DOES NOT WORK ON ANY TUNNEL.
    L&S should say that in the add.
    Also , CANNOT SURFACE, that too should be in the add. CANNOT SPIN OVER 6000 RPM , I don't recall seeing that in any add.
    If you have stern drive with 2000 or more hp the torque shift is for you.