Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil spurting out the breather

75MillerJet
    Ok so my Olds 455 is running awesome but when I really get on it at around 5k and up it starts spurting oil out of the breather. Whats causing this? Also my oil pressure gauge drops from around 40 to about <20 around the same RPM's. Is this the reason for so many people swearing on swapping out the Olds for a BBC or BBF? This is really concerning me as this is a brand new engine thats only been out on the lake 4 times. Can I really make my Olds bulletproof or is ford or chevy honestly just plain "the way to go"?

78CoLe
    sounds like alot of crankcase pressure are you evac any other way than breathers how tight did you put together the moter

78CoLe
    forgot do you have any oil restrictors in it or pipe cleaners in the push rods olds suck for oil return i blew mine at 5400 with a little help from mr nitros it was a healthy olds in a pos 76 tahti

rerfert
    Ok so my Olds 455 is running awesome but when I really get on it at around 5k and up it starts spurting oil out of the breather. Whats causing this? Also my oil pressure gauge drops from around 40 to about <20 around the same RPM's. This is really concerning me as this is a brand new engine thats only been out on the lake 4 times. Can I really make my Olds bulletproof or is ford or chevy honestly just plain "the way to go"?
    You are running high RPM's and pumping all the oil up to the top of the motor and starving the lower end...Hence the drop in oil pressure.(The oil can not return to the pan fast enough in stock form.....This will get costly soon.)
    I hear HD oil pumps make it worse.
    Do a search on here for Olds 455 oil return Problems

Sleek-Jet
    How long are you running it a 5K plus???
    If there have been no oil system modifications, it's only a matter of time till the Olds is no more...
    The Olds drain back paths for the oil are very restrictive, the oil can't make it's way back to the pan quick enough.
    As far as the oil out the breather, it could be a few things. How much oil is it, just a light misting on the valve cover, or is it pouring out???

rerfert
    And I hope you have a 10qt oil pan or are looking into one.
    I really liked my 73 Kona with the Olds 455, But it was just a cruiser boat for me.

75MillerJet
    sounds like alot of crankcase pressure are you evac any other way than breathers how tight did you put together the moter
    there is a breather on one cover and a vac tube to the carb on the other

75MillerJet
    How long are you running it a 5K plus???
    If there have been no oil system modifications, it's only a matter of time till the Olds is no more...
    The Olds drain back paths for the oil are very restrictive, the oil can't make it's way back to the pan quick enough.
    As far as the oil out the breather, it could be a few things. How much oil is it, just a light misting on the valve cover, or is it pouring out???
    its a pretty damn good amount... its a spray

75MillerJet
    And I hope you have a 10qt oil pan or are looking into one.
    I really liked my 73 Kona with the Olds 455, But it was just a cruiser boat for me.
    yes i have a 10qt

MACHINEHEAD
    Depending on the pan design, it may be possible that the ten qt. pan has ten quarts in it, which may be a qt. or two too many. This may be causing the drop in oil preasure at higher rpm. Next time this happens, slow down as fast as you can and yank the dip stick, if its foamy or has a lot more bubbles on it than when you run at 4000 rpm, the crank may be whipping up the oil. Drop a qt. or two and this may solve your problem. Handle this before you start wondering if the rings are installed correctly!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast