Thread: Expansion plugs

1972hallett
    I just finished wiring my 460 Ford and fired her up. She sounds great but I noticed I have water squirting out of the expansion plugs on each side of the motor. Any suggestions? How do I pull them out and put new ones in? Can I do it without pulling the motor?

RICHARD TILL
    take a long chisel or a big strong screwdriver, drive a hole into the old ones and pry them out. would be best to replace with brass plugs. they last longer. take a socket that just fits the inside diameter of the plug. coat the outside diameter of the new plugs with permatex. use the heaviest hammer that you can handle in the area that you have to work with. sometimes profanity helps also.

I just finished wiring my 460 Ford and fired her up. She sounds great but I noticed I have water squirting out of the expansion plugs on each side of the motor. Any suggestions? How do I pull them out and put new ones in? Can I do it without pulling the motor?
    i use a slide hammer...they come rite out...also...i chnged over to the rubber exp plugs with the screw in the middle...i can pull them & flush my whole mtr when i want to
    fastrat