Thread: 'Hunting' on acceleration?

hbrown
    Hey Guys- I have had a 78' Biesmeyer jet for four years now- got it as a bare hull with the intake in it and got all the parts used and rigged it out myself. Built a 454 a little stouter than stock with a berk 12JG pump and had it gone through & got a place diverter- guy I bought it from said the hull ran best with a droop on it- so I got one and just put it on there. All the steering is new and rigged as most all of them I have seen on here are. I have not driven it that much- only had it out five times total due to money and getting my carburetor, exhaust, and cooling systems up to par.
    When I give it gas and accelerate, until it gets good and on plane the boat hunts back and forth from left to right. It's not so bad as to cause a huge problem, but I wish it didn't do it. It's the only jet I have driven, so I don't have a clue as to how it should be. Everything is tight in the steering- no unusual slop- it's as tight as the rack, cable, and such is ever gonna get.
    Once up on plane, it rides fine- and doesn't do it hardly at all.
    Do they just do this, or have I got a problem?
    H.

lilrick
    does it have a skag in the bottom ??? (fin, like a surfboard in front of the pump)

hbrown
    Nope, no skeg. It's not the flatbottom boat- probably couldn't call it a true
    Beismeyer- it's a shallow v with chines. It's a heavier layup made for the jet.
    From what I gather, it's actually a "Arizona Ski Boats" which was made by Steele Marine who owned the Beismeyer molds. The ID number on the hull is hard to read but definately starts with ASK which is Arizona Ski Boats. Someone on here said that these hulls were actually layed up for steele by
    another builder- I forget the name but it is on some old Beismeyer posts here. The bottom could stand a blueprint but is not severely messed up
    to where it could cause what I'm experiencing. Then again, I dunno a whole lot about it. If anyone knows any more history on this type hull I have then chime in- as researching it has become a pastime for me.

lilrick
    [QUOTE=hbrown]Nope, no skeg. It's not the flatbottom boat- probably couldn't call it a true
    Beismeyer- it's a shallow v with chines. It's a heavier layup made for the jet.
    From what I gather, it's actually a "Arizona Ski Boats" which was made by Steele Marine who owned the Beismeyer molds. The ID number on the hull is hard to read but definately starts with ASK which is Arizona Ski Boats. Someone on here said that these hulls were actually layed up for steele by
    another builder- I forget the name but it is on some old Beismeyer posts here. The bottom could stand a blueprint but is not severely messed up
    to where it could cause what I'm experiencing. Then again, I dunno a whole lot about it. If anyone knows any more history on this type hull I have then chime in- as researching it has become a pastime for me.[/QUOTE
    My only experience with this problem in my jet was when I had my skeg too far forward . So I think what is happening in your case is that the boat must be riding very wet.

hbrown
    This 'hunting' only happens right out of the hole- and stops once up on plane-
    it just goes this way, and I correct, then it goes that way. Probably wags back and forth three times unless I am just giving it full throttle- in that case, it just jumps on up.

lilrick
    I would call Jack at MPD.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yea, I'd question a pro, Jack, Duane, others.
    Personally, I'd wonder if the pump was set in perfectly square. Could the chines try to straighten the boat if the pump was trying to push it a couple degrees off-center while the chines were very wet?

Yea, I'd question a pro, Jack, Duane, others.
    Personally, I'd wonder if the pump was set in perfectly square. Could the chines try to straighten the boat if the pump was trying to push it a couple degrees off-center while the chines were very wet?
    I'd say bingo here! i thought i had this same problem but quickly realized that i did not know how to launch my boat correctly! lol
    There is definitly a science to launching a v-bottom jet!...but then again, i have been wrong once before.
    All i do now to correct my issue is, give it about 1/2-3/4 throttle as it comes up, then rolls over, before the nose falls completely, stab it! Fixed my issue!
    Todd