Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BUILDING BOATS OVER SEAS

RUN2RIVER
    I have a question, I am starting my own boating company (I have been in the industry for several years) and I am wondering what you guys would think of a company building their hulls overseas. I have done extensive traveling and in several different countries the technology (glass, laminates, labor) are just as advanced as in the U.S. The hulls can be built MUCH cheaper overseas than in the U.S. with better quality. For example to lay up a 26-27 cat with decalite wood, good resin/glass and vaccumed bagged would cost about 2,500. Instead of 10k+ in the U.S. Would you buy a boat knowing that the hulls were made overseas? Everything else would be done in the U.S. And the company would offer a 3 year warranty with the boat. Repair work (hopefully only gelcoat) would be done in the U.S. because of the time difference. If the boat was at the top of its class would you buy it or would the fact that it is made overseas keep you from considering the boat?

spectras only
    RunRiver, already too much stuff made outside of us/canada borders for the reason you're contemplating building boats out side of the USA [to try to make them cheaper for the consumer],however you have to think of the future of many workers in your contry loosing jobs to foreign products.I don't even buy clothing that's not being made in canada or the states anymore.The quality of garments for example ,are inferior from India or China for that matter.Boats will be the same.Most of the Trawler type's are made in Taiwan for example.Nuff said from this penut gallery http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

RUN2RIVER
    In response to your comment, the reason why I am looking to build the boats overseas is because of the quality/cost factor. I would much rather have a boat that has been bagged and laminated with all of the best material than some other company who does not use a bag or the best materials. There are a lot of companies who use the best materials, but do not bag their boats nor do they offer the option of bagging the boat. Very few if any in the 24-28' range. If done right a properly bagged boat will be laid up at 1/2 the weight and 2x as strong (not exactly but significantly). And since I am starting the company outside of the U.S. and not transporting existing goods to foreign companies, I will be creating jobs with the rigging, sales, interior, etc. inside of the U.S. And to be perfectly honest, many of the existing lamination/gelcoat jobs are being paid under the table to illegal immigrants (not all I know, but a good portion).

ratso
    I'll get this out of the way now (not that i give a damn, but someones gonna ask). Are you going to make your own plugs, or will they be splashes off of what has been already proven here in the USA?

RUN2RIVER
    I completely respect that question and I am fully prepared to answer it. In response to your question of will it be splashed NO!!! But, to be perfectly honest what I have done is to take some of the best bottoms, Skater, Spectre, HTM, and Tallon for speed, and Advantage, Carrera, and DCB for stability. I have had several studies done on what works and what does not work. I have taken the best ideas from the bunch to create what I believe will be the best overall bottom. No glass will ever touch another co's boat, but they will be drawn upon digitally on the computer to get a good combination. The deck will be original compltely. A digital skymatic (?sp) has already been completed and tooling will be occuring in May/June in Costa Rica. I am making my own plug and with any luck (PLEASE) I will have the boat popped out of the mold in Aug/Sept.

ratso
    Cool. Any ideas on a name yet. Will they be all inboards or will you have outboard models too? I like how you seem to be very concerned about quality.

Cole
    I have no objections with a boat being built over seas,i owned a clothing co. in the 80's and did a tremendous amount of mfg over seas with savings of 50% and over.You have to be competative!!!.Just make sure you have all your cost factored in with shipping,taxes, and most importantly quality controll!!If i can save a few bucks and be guarenteed a superior quality boat ..why would anyone say no! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Cole

Cole
    One more question,who have you worked for in the past and the boats you plan on building??? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Cole

HUFFPOWER
    usa,usa,usa,usa,usa,usa!!!!!!!!!!quit selling out the u.s. for jobs,i'm so sick of giving our jobs to china,mexico,india,etc..take care of those who will ultimately take care of you and your business!!!!!

you should just go to mexico,every boat shop ive been to has mexicans laying up the boats,you wont be taking to many jobs from usa workers but you sure may take some from the boat mfg's.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast