Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a gauge!!!!

Froggystyle
    Let's say you have a space in the dash for a single gauge. You need to put a gauge there for balance and appearance and there is a whole lot of good things out there you can monitor. Some more pertinent than others. Problem with a lot of gauges is, if you don't know what to calibrate from, the gauge is no good. EGT for example... What would be considered too high for a pump gas, twin turbo motor with water cooled exhaust?
    In any case, we have whittled our choices down to three... all are useful, perhaps the folks on here would rather have one than the others.
    The first we are considering is an ambient air temperature gauge. This would be a thermometer for the inside of the boat to give an idea what the temperature is. With kids and sunscreen etc... it is nice to know exactly how hot it is getting and be able to react accordingly. There is a world of difference between 110 and 118, would anyone be interested in this gauge?
    The second would be a cylinder head temperature gauge. This works in conjunction with our oil temperature, cooled oil temperature and water temperature gauge. It gives you one more bit of information about the physical temperature of the cylinder head. It is measured from the front face of the head, and could give a reading to allow you to get a head start on recognizing a situation that could lead to detonation with bad gas. The computer already adjusts for different exhaust gas temperatures, so this would be a way to manual monitor the head temp.
    The third is a clock. I personally don't wear a watch at the river, and get sick of digging into my bag to find my cell phone to get an idea of what time it is. Would anyone be interested in a cool matching clock?
    What'll it be? It is up to you guys. All three gauges would match all of the others and look like part of the gang.

Phat Matt
    How about a depth gauge? Do you already have one of those?
    And I don't want to hear I don't need one because I have dual jets.

phebus
    How about a fuel flow gauge? You could use it to determine your best cruising speed for maximum range, and you would know your actual fuel use, rather then guessing how much fuel you had left if you were running low.

Froggystyle
    For the record, the other gauges already included are the following...
    GPS Speedo
    Tachometer
    Oil Temperature (pan)
    Oil Temperature (cooler)
    Oil Pressure
    Water temperature
    Boost
    Voltmeter
    Fuel
    Drive oil pressure
    Drive oil temperature
    It isn't like we are missing a key one or anything...

Froggystyle
    How about a depth gauge? Do you already have one of those?
    And I don't want to hear I don't need one because I have dual jets.
    We don't need one because we have dual jets.
    And how about you answer the damn question...

WYRD
    mine has a clock but I never use it cause everytime I turn off the batteries you have to reset it, more of a pain then looking for a cell phone if you ask me. How about a compass?

caroftheweek
    Do you have a water pressure gauge already? i may be adding one of these to my cluster. if you already have a water pressure gauge, what about a water temp gauge?

WYRD
    Then I guess a Trim indicator is outta the question :crossx:

superdave013
    with the target market for your boat I would say clock or air temp. I'd prolly go with a nice clock myself.

Phat Matt
    When you drop something in the water it's nice to know how deep it went.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast