Thread: What's the best place to locate senders?

maxwedge
    ...Oil temp and water temp senders for an Olds? I was thinking of just welding a bung into the Oil pan for the Oil temp gauge or is there a better place? Water temp sender?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Oil pan would be the only place I would put in..

maxwedge
    Oil pan would be the only place I would put in..
    So you feel I should put the water temp sender in the oil pan too then? I only ask because the P/O had the water temp sender tapped into one of the exhaust log fittings, which is a pretty useless place for it. Pretty much tells me the temp of the lake water after it's gone through the log. I'm assuming the Intake manifold would be the standard place?

502 JET
    The intake manifold for the water temp is fine.Oil temp in the pan is the correct location.

rerfert
    My water temp sender is mounted right in front of the thermostat housing in the intake manifold and reads the water temp right before it dumps out into the exhaust logs.
    http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/alb..._002.sized.jpg
    But anywhere on the intake should give the same readings.

RICHARD TILL
    why have an oil temp gauge? if the water temp is ok the oil probably is too. less weight is the same as more horsepower.

maxwedge
    why have an oil temp gauge? if the water temp is ok the oil probably is too. less weight is the same as more horsepower.
    I probably wouldn't have had bothered will the oil temp except:
    1) It's an Olds.
    2) I had an extra hole in the dash since I removed one of the fuel tanks and only needed one fuel gauge.
    3) I didn't really feel like filling the hole in...maybe I should have started a "which gauge should I buy?" thread in the sandbar, but I didn't really want a clock or a themometer
    4) I happen to think Oil temp is a usefull thing to know.
    5) Just how many extra horsepower is that extra 14ounces really gonna free up?

rrrr
    5) Just how many extra horsepower is that extra 14ounces really gonna free up?

RICHARD TILL
    hey maxwedge, come on over to the st. louis drag boat races this weekend. central illinois can`t be too far away. www.sldba.org i`ll be there. the red boat on the home page is mine.

maxwedge
    hey maxwedge, come on over to the st. louis drag boat races this weekend. central illinois can`t be too far away. www.sldba.org i`ll be there. the red boat on the home page is mine.
    Nice boat ya got there. There's a chance I might have to go to Wisconsin this weekend to pick up a car, but if not, I will absolutley be there. That's only 2 1/2 hours away from me. Thanks for the info. Looks like a good time.