Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Possible NO mooring or Stopping In Channel At Lake Havasu

Havasu_Dreamin
    Latest article from Todays News Herald
    Business owners upset over threat of closure
    By Brian DiTullio
    Wednesday, January 4, 2006 10:18 PM MST
    Owners of businesses in and along the Bridgewater Channel are furious over City Council's desire to eliminate mooring in the manmade waterway.
    Today's News-Herald was not able to contact every business in that district, but all owners and managers who spoke with the paper expressed anger and frustration over City Council's latest attempt to put more controls over the area due to rowdy behavior.
    “I just think that putting forth the idea of closing the Channel shows a lack of understanding of tourism in Lake Havasu City,” said Kathy Johnson, owner of Wild Things. “On holiday weekends there are some issues, but every other weekend it's pretty even.”
    Mayor Harvey Jackson directed city attorney Matt Podracky to draw up some ordinances for consideration that would eliminate mooring and beaching in Bridgewater Channel at a work session Tuesday night after a presentation on rowdy behavior in the area during the summer boating season.
    “It's going to kill business,” said Little River Rats owner Debra Kramer on Council's decision. “There won't be any foot traffic. The merchants are going to have to close.”
    London Bridge Ice Cream Parlor owner Mike Sabo reserved his wrath for Jackson. The mayor initially proposed shutting the Channel down Tuesday night at a work session.
    “He's on a major ego trip,” said Sabo. “He's against tourism and I knew he was trying to pull a quick one. I didn't vote for him, and the prospect of Harvey controlling the English Village is a scary thing. There's a lot of ticked off people down here.”
    Jackson responded to the comments on Wednesday by reiterating his statements at the City Council meeting, but added there hasn't been a public debate on the issue yet and that his discussions with the locals indicate they are fed up with the tourists taking over the Channel.
    “We should have our own right to be there,” said Jackson. “I gave up my boat last fall because it was getting to be too much trouble.”
    Commentary: If you close it to morring that leaves the locals out of luck as well! Also, what about the tourists rights to use the beach area?
    Jackson also pointed out that no law enforcement agencies have put up with the rowdy crowds no matter where they settled, and said Lake Havasu City just happens to be the current hangout.
    As for the concerns of business owners, Jackson said it was an accident of location as it concerned the mooring issue and that they had “no vested right” to that kind of crowd.
    “There are safety issues to think about,” said Jackson.
    Dallas Finch, manager of Kokomo, addressed those statements by comparing the Channel to State Route 95.
    “It's a thoroughfare, it's just like a street,” said Finch. “It just happens to be water.”
    Pointing out that police patrol the Channel just like they do the highway, Finch said police don't shut down highways and roads because of alcohol problems or disorderly conduct. “It would be ludicrous to do it on the highway, so why would you do it on the Channel?”
    Finch said people want to be in Lake Havasu City, a statement supported by Johnson.
    “Lake Havasu City offers someplace to go,” said Johnson. “You can go to any lake and just tool around. Here, you can walk off and into town.”
    “The people want to be here,” said Finch. “You can regulate the Channel. You can put a checkpoint in front of it. They do it on the streets all the time.”
    Signs put up in May 2005 caused immediate uproar from businesses in and around the Channel, and City Council modified their directives shortly after. The area business owners stated at the time that closing the channel to boaters could cripple their businesses, as the foot traffic on the beach would disappear.
    Councilwoman Cindy Aldridge voiced her opposition to the “no mooring” proposal, citing last year's events as a reason.
    Since the meeting was a work session, no votes were taken, but the issue is being scheduled for a future meeting when the ordinances are ready for presentation.
    More commentary: Enforce the laws already on the books if you want to change the behavior. Also, I bet some of the locals engage in the very behavior they want to get rid of.

LHC30Victory
    I bet some of the locals engage in the very behavior they want to get rid of.
    And who are you thinking of? :argue:

Havasu_Dreamin
    And who are you thinking of? :argue:
    No one in particular but if they think it is only the tourists they are sadly mistaken.

Liquid Courage
    The problems with the channel do need to be addressed. It has gotten WAY to crazy out there over the last few years and seems to get worse every year. However, closing the whole channel down is a bit extreme. It just pushes the problems elsewhere on the lake. Like I said before. The one-way rule and limiting some of the mooring would be a large help. Maybe pass an ordinance of no open containers on land. That would help restrict the loosers from running a muck and give LE a little more opportunity to contact people.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011