Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible NO mooring or Stopping In Channel At Lake Havasu

Desert Rat
    Yeah but they gave it a try and didn't go broke. I was just using Vegas as a "for example". Havasu IMO is not tring to be strickly adult entertainment and with all the blue hairs in the winter they are trying to be alittle more of a "City" don't get me wrong I love the place and this is no more then my opinion on the situation. Look what happened this year when they limited boats in the channel on the big weeked! The trash from NON-boaters was a mess. I guess Rome wasn't built in a day!

shadow
    That ought to go over real well with all the condo owners on the north side
    of the bridge on both sides.
    They will love the fact now they may not be able to beach thier boat in front
    outside of thier condo.Really ought to please the condo owners that count on renting out thier condo to help pay the mortgage.Now noone will want to rent the condo because they've got nowhere to park thier boat.
    Now the city will have to buy more patrol boats and load em up with the police that sit in golf carts and thong watch.
    I can see em trying to limit as they already have,one way traffic,or some other lame ideas,But can't see them closing the channel down to no beaching/mooring.I'm sure this is far from over so we will see soon.

Ultrafied
    With the the old English Village needing a renovation, this would seem appropriate. Although many believe that the the local income of the Channel is dependant upon their money, IMHO, growth is being held back back by it. You can't have tourist dollars where the only draw is boats with g-strings and the common draw is liquor. This not meant as a literal statement.
    Many shops have closed up because tourism is not growing at the Bridge. If the council wants to think of a Convention Center, possibly a hotel, new business with growth, it would make sense to have boats only moving through the Channel and not partying.

77charger
    How about this we take all our boating revanue elsewhere say maybe Mead ,Mohave, Naci and then when the affects of no business in the summer they will be begging us to come back and park in the channel just like the business owners in Palm Springs, they would love to have spring break back.
    I doubt it they will care i am sure there are people who are traveling and drive thru that stop and shop.They make it thru wintertime without the majority of boats.
    Besides how many boaters do you see shopping around?palm springs seems to be doing fine spring break back then was maybe 2 weeks there are 50 non spring break weekends in a year.And most spring break crowds barely take enough money for beer.
    Dont think that kind of ordinance will fly though.

Havasu_Dreamin
    I doubt it they will care i am sure there are people who are traveling and drive thru that stop and shop.They make it thru wintertime without the majority of boats.
    Havasu makes it thru the winter due to the winter visitors spending their money in town buying gas and groceries and other items. The same holds true for the summer visitors. Remove either one of those completely from the local economy and the city will suffer.

shadow
    Havasu makes it thru the winter due to the winter visitors spending their money in town buying gas and groceries and other items. The same holds true for the summer visitors. Remove either one of those completely from the local economy and the city will suffer.
    Thats a fact jack!
    Theres bus loads of tourists on a daily basis parked @ the london bridge
    resort, In&Out Parking lot.Some days the tourists look like flies on shit all over the bridge during the winter snapping photos,sight seeing,ect.

h2oski2fast
    Go ask most business owners what they think of the winter clientel. They will tell you that they spend very little money, and that the summer bring in much more revenue then the winter. Of course there are always businesses that will still prosper during the winter, but the overall city depends on the summer to survive finacially.

cc322
    When we were there at the end of October my wife wanted to go look at a new bikinis at the same store she purchased one in the begining of the season, well the store had changed all of there inventory to focus on older people, no more bikinis for youg women but all polyester garments for the older crowd. That shows me that the businesses are seasonal friendly meaning that they will only stock what will sell for that season summer, swim suits fall and winter diffeerent stock.Cant blame them they have to sell what sells, so yes I believe if you take the boating crowd out of the channel the businesses will fill the impact.

Havasu_Dreamin
    Go ask most business owners what they think of the winter clientel. They will tell you that they spend very little money, and that the summer bring in much more revenue then the winter. Of course there are always businesses that will still prosper during the winter, but the overall city depends on the summer to survive finacially.
    So they spend very little. They still provide an increase on the sales at the supermarkets, gas stations, clothing stores etc, etc, etc that if removed would impact the local economy. It's simple economics.
    For the sake of argument let's say there are roughly 5k winter visitors each year in LHC. I am using 5k because is the number I have always heard, it could be more or less. Assuming most are couples that is 2500 couples in town. Even if those 2500 couples are spedning ONLY $100 per month in town, and that is a VERY conservative amount, thats $250,000 (100 X 2500) PER MONTH.
    Now, take that and multiply it by the typical snowbird season of 4-5 months that's possibly as much as $1.25 million removed the LHC economy. And that does not even take into account the rent/lease amounts the snowbirds are providing to the homeowners whom they rent from, whether local or from CA, which is additional money that may be pumped back into the economy by those homeowners, quite possibly in the summer. Granted, summer visitors may very well spend more total dollars, but Havasu still needs the winter visitors AND the summer visitors to sustain the local economy.

h2oski2fast
    When we were there at the end of October my wife wanted to go look at a new bikinis at the same store she purchased one in the begining of the season, well the store had changed all of there inventory to focus on older people, no more bikinis for youg women but all polyester garments for the older crowd. That shows me that the businesses are seasonal friendly meaning that they will only stock what will sell for that season summer, swim suits fall and winter diffeerent stock.Cant blame them they have to sell what sells, so yes I believe if you take the boating crowd out of the channel the businesses will fill the impact.
    Thats just smart business.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast