Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible NO mooring or Stopping In Channel At Lake Havasu

RiverToysJas
    Don't see it affecting local business too much. I don't care if it happens either.
    BUT I don't see it happening and I don't think it's legal. The channel is still the lake, and the lake is still a Federal Waterway. I THINK below the high water mark, they cannot prevent you from beaching. I'd like to hear from boatcop or someone who might know for sure. Also, people with "boat trouble" would have to be allowed to be beach under "safe harbor" laws. That would be a good way to protest it, everyone should just develope "engine trouble" for the day.
    RTJas

h2oski2fast
    So they spend very little. They still provide an increase on the sales at the supermarkets, gas stations, clothing stores etc, etc, etc that if removed would impact the local economy. It's simple economics.
    For the sake of argument let's say there are roughly 5k winter visitors each year in LHC. I am using 5k because is the number I have always heard, it could be more or less. Assuming most are couples that is 2500 couples in town. Even if those 2500 couples are spedning ONLY $100 per month in town, and that is a VERY conservative amount, thats $250,000 (100 X 2500) PER MONTH.
    Now, take that and multiply it by the typical snowbird season of 4-5 months that's possibly as much as $1.25 million removed the LHC economy. And that does not even take into account the rent/lease amounts the snowbirds are providing to the homeowners whom they rent from, whether local or from CA, which is additional money that may be pumped back into the economy by those homeowners, quite possibly in the summer. Granted, summer visitors may very well spend more total dollars, but Havasu still needs the winter visitors AND the summer visitors to sustain the local economy.
    Now to take your assumption and twist it a bit. Let's take one weekend at Havasu during the summer. A very conservative estimate of the number of boats in Havasu would be 1000 (but we'll use it). Another very convervative estimate would be the amount of gas that each boat will consume (averaged out would probably be 80 gallons per weekend, some use less and some more). Now at around 2.00 per gallon that would be $160 per boat (again, average). That's $160,000 in gas for a weekend. Then for the season, $3.8 million. The summer crowd has a more expendable cash flow then do the "snow birds" that are on a fixed, usually retired budget. Go into a restaraunt and ask the people who work there which clientel they would rather have.

RiverToysJas
    Yeah, cuz we all know that nobody will go to Lake Havasu anymore if they don't allow people to beach their boats in place that they can more easiely drive their car to. It'll more likely just put more pressure on other coves and marinas.
    And if this "new law" does make a lot of people not go there anymore, to the point that the differance is noticalbe (which I highly doubt) it'll only be until other people, who don't go there now because it's too busy and crowded find out...then they will start showing and the cycle will repeat.
    RTJas

moneypit
    Theres got to be a happy medium to this situation. I have always gelt that if they had a way to limit how long boats moored it could be better.
    For example: Getting a morring slip for lets say, two hours. The city could have a machine that dispensed slips, or they could have a station near the bridge that you could get it from. I think this would slow alot of the problems. I think the city would like to stop the drunk atmosphere and I would concur. The slips could also be given out by meter maid copper...
    Just a thought though. I would hate to see the channel closed and I would hate to see the business's fair.

Kilrtoy
    Don't see it affecting local business too much. I don't care if it happens either.
    RTJas
    Why would you when you boat in Bullhead and parker....

phebus
    Theres got to be a happy medium to this situation. I have always gelt that if they had a way to limit how long boats moored it could be better.
    For example: Getting a morring slip for lets say, two hours. The city could have a machine that dispensed slips, or they could have a station near the bridge that you could get it from. I think this would slow alot of the problems. I think the city would like to stop the drunk atmosphere and I would concur. The slips could also be given out by meter maid copper...
    Just a thought though. I would hate to see the channel closed and I would hate to see the business's fair.
    I would think the merchants in the area would endorse a plan like this, as it would rotate the potential customers to their businesses. Increased business also means increased tax revenue for the city.

RiverToysJas
    Why would you when you boat in Bullhead and parker....
    I do? That's funny, considering I have boated in BHC only once in the last 4 years, and Parker no more than once a season, if that.
    RTJas

olbiezer
    havasu city council sounds like the fort lauderdale fl city council when i was growing up.........every time we found a place to congregate and have fun .......they would pass a law closing that area or parking lot during night time hours....canals there are now all no wake manatee zones.....spring break is a thing of the past as they found out we were having tooo much fun so they outlawed that!!!! just a fun crowd on the council......all about 90 years old!

mbrown2
    I think the channel is way too out of hand now....they need to limit the mooring or reduce the channel chaos....too much drinking and too many idiots bring the chaos right to public...keep it at the sandbar or in the party coves where I like to enjoy it, but the channel on most weekends is out of hand on the shore, fights get created with people saving space or idiots creating chaos next to those that do not want chaos and thus the termoil begins. Even the idiots that do not know how to drive in the channel, pulling in, backing out, people stopping creating bottle necks and people who do not know how to drive and have itchy throttle hands/foots bumping each other and thus creating more chaos...
    There is a reason this is getting so much town attention, the attention is probably warranted.

Bolt On's
    Go ask most business owners what they think of the winter clientel. They will tell you that they spend very little money, and that the summer bring in much more revenue then the winter. Of course there are always businesses that will still prosper during the winter, but the overall city depends on the summer to survive finacially.
    My thoughts as well...... All the shops there survive by us. I spend a ton in those stores!!!!!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast