Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IPOD in the boat

moneypit
    Anyone use one...? What do I need to make this happen. Im ipod illiterate but I have tons of music on my puter.

Jyruiz
    Lots of ways to make it work, what kind of deck do you have?

Rocknpalms
    Anyone use one...? What do I need to make this happen. Im ipod illiterate but I have tons of music on my puter.
    We use ares in the truck to the river, at the house hooked to the stereo system and then in the boat.
    For the truck we use a 12v powered FM transmitter by Monster. It charges the Ipod and sounds OK.
    At the house we plug the Ipod into the stereo via the headphone jack to the rc or fiber optic imput and this sounds great.
    For the boat we plug in a small FM transmitter called and I trip. It gets its power from the Ipod. This unit works OK if the Ipod is left near the radio. Best would be direct plug in.

Havasu_Dreamin
    The larger iPods are basically portable disk drives with movning parts. For this reason it would seem to make more sense to use the iPod Nano as it uses flash memeory, sort of like a memory stick, as opposed to a spinning drive. Seems to be more conducive to an environment that can be far from smooth sailing.....I do not know what the limitations, if any, are for using the iPod Nano and connecting to a head unit in a boat. I would think the standard iPod adapters would work with the Nano as well.

bocco
    I have pluged one directly into my amp. No deck at all. Works great.

Moabirick
    I use to use an FM transmitter with my Ipod 5 generation. Clarity is ok, but could not get it loud enough. Recently purchased a Kenwod Ipod adapter that hooks up directly to the CD changer output on my deck, then goes to a small box, then hooks to my Ipod which I leave in my storage compartment. I can then controll the Ipod from my deck. It takes a little bit of know how to control from the deck, especially if you don't have your music organized into playlists. My Ipod is one of the larger ones, I have had it in the heat and pounding in the boat, never with any skips or problems. I also tried the RCA through the earphone plug, but still, you dont get the clarity or volume that you get with the adapter.

marty722
    apple sound system and made a box for under the deck and it runs on batteries. Goes about 7hrs but I rigged up a portable power source and also mounted it and this will last all day. I have to take the portable compressor out at night and charge it. Works great... White mans way of doing it....

moneypit
    I am using the Clarion XMD3 head unit. The CD player is broke. I have Satelitte hooked up. But its still like listening to the music you want. So I thought an IPOD player would be better.

moneypit
    Recently purchased a Kenwod Ipod adapter that hooks up directly to the CD changer output on my deck, .
    Is that because you dont have a CD changer installed? I have that same port on my radio that im not using. Maybe i can do the same thing.

BajaMike
    Is that because you dont have a CD changer installed? I have that same port on my radio that im not using. Maybe i can do the same thing.
    If you have an aux in on your stereo, use that. The FM adapters are crappy and the casette adapters are almost as bad.
    Just run a headphone type cable from the headphone jack on the ipod to the aux in on the stereo....
    :idea:
    :rollside:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast