Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve cover oil breather recomendations.

Rocknpalms
    I have a fresh 502 with simple slip in foam filled valve cover oil breathers. They work fine if I clean them out with gas every trip and dont run high rpm for a long time. If I dont clean them and run 4500-5000 for a few minutes I get enough crank case pressure to form a leak around the silicon sealing the lower dip stick tube to the pan. I get a good amount of oil in the bildge and would rather not have to keep cleaning up the mess.
    I dont want to change the valve covers with large breathers till next year. I was thinking of using the small K&N breathers. Will these let oil spray out on the valve covers?
    What other suggestions does someone have?

455Rocket
    I would concentrate on the leak rather than the breathers. Get a dipstick that fits and is well sealed. It should hold just fine...

502 JET
    You could connect up a pcv valve it may help.I am building a puke tank to plumb my valve cover breathers into and will also run a hose from the tank to my Vortech superchargers inlet.The vacuum pull of the supercharger will over come the breather on the tank and pull all the fumes into the motor leaving any oil in the tank.With a puke tank the excess pressure and oil will blown into the tank and not all over the place and give you enough engine breathing so you dont blow any gaskets or seals.

You could connect up a pcv valve it may help.I am building a puke tank to plumb my valve cover breathers into and will also run a hose from the tank to my Vortech superchargers inlet.The vacuum pull of the supercharger will over come the breather on the tank and pull all the fumes into the motor leaving any oil in the tank.With a puke tank the excess pressure and oil will blown into the tank and not all over the place and give you enough engine breathing so you dont blow any gaskets or seals.
    Hey 502...
    lets see pics of the puke tank when u get it done...thnx
    fastrat

Nubbs
    I bought a Lokar flexible dipstick tube for my engine. The base of the tube fits into the pan with O-rings and makes a nice seal. I highly doubt that different breathers would eliminate the leak.

502 JET
    Hey 502...
    lets see pics of the puke tank when u get it done...thnx
    fastrat
    I post pictures when its finished.I hope to get it done by the end of next week.

Danhercules
    I have seen some people put Braded line from the valve covers to the headers. I have only seen this with OT headers. I wonder if you could do the same with your T/T headers.
    Anybody?
    Also, I did have some oil get by my old breathers, when I changed to a taller valve cover and these (http://www.rexmar.com/page285.html) breathers I have no more issues.
    On the bottom of the link above, you can see the breather you can put a briaded line on. You could get them and take the line to the header or a puke tanke with a small K&N on top of it.

TJS
    Here is my puke tank that I made.
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/puketank.htm
    T.J.

daddy b
    I too just cleaned a whole mess of oil off motor and and I haven't even started on the bildge :yuk: . Some valve covers have a (word?baffles?) that keeps oil from coming directly out of breather hole, mine do not, this year I'm trying the rubber breather gromet with the small hole on the bottom. I'll let you know if it works this weekend.
    It's mostly my driving, It's @ 7 miles back to the dock, and it doesn't take long, he he heeee.
    daddy b :220v:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I have seen some people put Braded line from the valve covers to the headers. I have only seen this with OT headers. I wonder if you could do the same with your T/T headers.
    Anybody?
    Condensation!!!! You would get alot of moisture in the oil...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast