Thread: Blowin' oil

Moneypitt
    Anyone that was at Parker in April may have seen the PS89 leaving a trail of blowby down the straights, running hard, but smoking and puking oil all over. I thought the rings had failed to seat, or were gapped too large, but alas, the rings are fine. However #3 AND #6 have blown the head gasket into the valley. In EXACTLY the same spot, with EXACTLY the same burn pattern. Holding the gaskets together it appears to be one blown gasket. After pulling the injectors I found small flaky funny looking stuff above the valley screen. It was thin, hard, and burnt. I couldn't figure were it came from until I pulled the one head, then the other head and both were blown about 12 o'clock. I was also looking for a stuck pressure relief in the oil pump, but no. I guess the oil was thin like water after being subjected to combustion temps. The third heat, in the shitty water, showed 101 on the GPS, with TWO blown cylinders...........The bottom end looks like new. Who makes permatorque, printoseal gaskets without the aluminum block additional bolt hole? I have to cut that part off to clear the rev kit, and that area is where BOTH gaskets failed. These were cut the same as every other time, but for some reason these didn't like it!! Anyone else ever experienced these EXACT mirrored images of failure? Or, was this just the weakest seal, near the tightest quinch in the chamber? The seal area is actually the same or thinner at #7 and #1. The motor is coming all the way down to have the deck checked and cut if necessary, as we have been running it a little hotter than before.....(water P/Us cut shorter) and this may have lead to the gasket failure. The metal o ring part of the gasket was still there, just a little eroded, and the sandwiched material leading to the valley was gone........I will try to get some pics of the "twin" gaskets, I've never seen anything so perfectly the same when it comes to gasket failures.............Ray

sgdiv7
    sounds like detonation to me, that is the weakest point of the head sealing surface of a bbc. and that is where it will blow out first.
    Lean fuel? restricted nozzles,warn check valve, pump going away,to much Timing? got to hot?
    Oh yea, hung over tuner, lol

Moneypitt
    sounds like detonation to me, that is the weakest point of the head sealing surface of a bbc. and that is where it will blow out first.
    Lean fuel? restricted nozzles,warn check valve, pump going away,to much Timing? got to hot?
    Oh yea, hung over tuner, lol
    Heat may be a factor. We're changing the pick ups again before the next time we race it. Injection was right on the money based on density info, and none of the pistons, or anything else showed any signs of detonation, if anything it was a little on the fat side........Ray

Fiat48
    Need to see gaskets.

Moneypitt
    Bob, I'll try to get some detailed pics tomorrow, and I can email them to you thru the "photoshare deal". PM me your email address and I'll try to do it tomorrow......Ray