Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Thin in 2006

Tom Brown
    Here's my story.
    I woke up one day to discover I had a huge gut and was about 30 lbs over weight. :idea:
    I was working out but I stepped up the cardio. ... then I stepped it up more. ... and more.
    It didn't help a lot.
    Then, I discovered that, in order to burn fat, the correct course of action is a less strenuous cardio workout. By keeping it light with a heart rate goal of about 118 (for me weight and age), I was able to start making some progress on the weight.
    ... so I walked... and sawed away on the elliptical at the gym...
    ... and the weight started falling off.
    All the while, I was trying to eat sensibly. I was trying to focus on good nutrition, but not paying much attention to callories. Basically, my goal was to consume 85g of protein per day and try to get a decent intake of vegetables and fruit.
    ... and the weight kept falling off.
    ... and then I hit my goal weight... 200.
    ... and the weight kept falling off...
    Now, I'm below my goal. I can't stop going for walks and using the elliptical because I'm addicted to that stuff. Also, it grosses me out to eat sugar, drink pop, or consume junk food of various kinds.
    I don't know where this ends but, once in the zone, it's clear that weight can really fall off at a pretty good rate. What's more, it's a terrific lifestyle.

Mrs. casean
    I watched Biggest Loser last night-Special Edition... it was two families competing and so inspiring! Wow... those people worked at it! And looked great! 5 weeks and one mom lost 78 lbs! (clap clap clap) Wow.... That show is motivation... and shows what hard work can do!

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    Ya know Tom, I was talking to a trainer at my gym and he said less cardio and weight will come off. It seems backwards but I am going to try it. I once again started doing my daily lunchtime walk and am trying to get my butt to the gym a couple times a week and of course walk Makai.
    I know I am a broken record but I am going to do this this time!!! :rollside:

RiverToysJas
    Linda, what gym do you go to? (sorry if you posted it and I missed it). I go to the new(er) LA Fitness on VV.
    I'm going to attempt to lose 30 again this year. Starting today....
    I will try to check in and let ya'll know how it's going. My goals are to:
    > Eat smaller portions of food.
    > Eat lower fat food.
    > Cutout red meat - a new one for me.
    > Walk at least 2 miles 3-4 times a week.
    I also start most days with a bowl of oatmeal, which they say is good for me. I'm also trying to add more tomatos to my diet, they say that's important for a man. Esp an old man like me, who's halfway to 70!
    G'Luck everyone.....
    RTJas

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    Linda, what gym do you go to? (sorry if you posted it and I missed it). I go to the new(er) LA Fitness on VV.
    I'm going to attempt to lose 30 again this year. Starting today....
    I will try to check in and let ya'll know how it's going. My goals are to:
    > Eat smaller portions of food.
    > Eat lower fat food.
    > Cutout red meat - a new one for me.
    > Walk at least 2 miles 3-4 times a week.
    I also start most days with a bowl of oatmeal, which they say is good for me. I'm also trying to add more tomotos to my diet, they say that's important for a man. Esp an old man like me, who's halfway to 70!
    G'Luck everyone.....
    RTJas
    I go there too Jason. :rollside: Want me to spot you? The only thing I hate about that place is it is packed when I want to go which is around 4:30 or 5pm. I just need to suck it up and deal with the crowd.
    Cutting out red meat? Not sure I could pull that one off. I love me some red meat! I cut back on it and eat lots of salmon and chicken.
    Smaller portions is key. That is something hard for me becuase if something tastes good, I will keep eating. Gotta change that habit.
    Good luck to you to. Hope to see you at the gym. OR we could meet at Pacifica and walk the track. :boxed:

RiverToysJas
    I go there too Jason. :rollside: Want me to spot you? The only thing I hate about that place is it is packed when I want to go which is around 4:30 or 5pm. I just need to suck it up and deal with the crowd.
    Cutting out red meat? Not sure I could pull that one off. I love me some red meat! I cut back on it and eat lots of salmon and chicken.
    Smaller portions is key. That is something hard for me becuase if something tastes good, I will keep eating. Gotta change that habit.
    Good luck to you to. Hope to see you at the gym. OR we could meet at Pacifica and walk the track. :boxed:
    You can chew on the red meat, just don't swallow.
    I go to the that gym most Sat and Sun's about 9am.
    As for walking Pacifica, that'd be cool - As long as Coach Cravin is no longer there yelling at me to go faster. LOL. I currently walk from my house, and stay to the outside streets around the tract, it's axactly 2 miles. That's what I have been walking.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    You can chew on the red meat, just don't swallow.
    I go to the that gym most Sat and Sun's about 9am.
    As for walking Pacifica, that'd be cool - As long as Coach Cravin is no longer there yelling at me to go faster. LOL. I currently walk from my house, and stay to the outside streets around the tract, it's axactly 2 miles. That's what I have been walking.
    I walk up and down all the streets in my tract which I am guessing is maybe only a mile one way. Not sure.
    Maybe I will see you at the gym this weekend.
    :rollside:
    P.s. can you pin this thread?

RiverToysJas
    If Jason got a GPS instead of tools, you'd know exactly how far it is! LOL
    I cannot pin in forums I don't moderate, Rex would be the one for this forum.
    I won't be there Sat. because I'm heading to Johnson Valley for the day....you guys can come if you'd like....I know Jason loves it there. :crossx: LOL I'll probably be there Sunday though.
    RTJas

C-2
    I'm In!!!!!!!!!
    I went south last year about July. Really F*d up about October thru December when I started drinking beer whenever I could. I love beer. :cry: :cry: :cry:
    So the final tally for me, last year, was down 50lbs., gained back 20. So I need to lose 30 again!
    Once again the wifey and I are counting calories and plan on excercising too, which we didn't really do last year when we lost the majority of our weight. We're not starting out as aggressive this year, kinda trying to fine tune our eating habits to be able to make it thru the year, and not July/August only.
    That Biggest Loser show kicked arse! Those people are damn motivated!

nodigg
    I have made a renewed commitment the last couple of days. I have been "good" with the food, and I went to the gym yesterday mornning for a quick workout. One of my best friends owns a karate dojo and she offers cardio-kickboxing two nights a week. She used to be a personal trainer, so I went to the kick-boxing last night (pretty dang fun getting to beat the crap out of the bag! ) and she is going to set me up with a better diet to increase my metabolism. Then the kids and I did a vigorous 5 mile hike at the Santa Rosa Plateau this afternoon. Alright, it was only 4 miles
    I sure hope I see at least a little bit of results within a week. Oh, and Jeff took all of my measurements last night. But I will NOT post them :yuk:
    I have 20# to loose and about 6 inches of belly. Good luck everyone!
    No posting of measurements? How about photos? :rollside:

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast