Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Where does a 70mph + boat, do a high speed pass on memorial day weekend?

Tom Brown
    You might not have boat traffic, but the mesquitos got to hurt as they splat across your forehead
    Indeed. Actually, they feel like needles jabbing into your face at speed up around 100.
    Have you been here?

reb939
    Actually not wearing a life jacket kills more. You don't have to be a drunk to be stupid on the water, just ask any PWC rental rider.
    Being a responsible operator of a watercraft is just not stressed enough today. It's just too easy to get your hands on a 60mph-70mph water rocket without any real training.
    Pretty scary, if you think about it.
    Every stat I read states acohol is responsible for more boating accidents / fatalities than any other cause. Where's Boatcop to back me up on this one?

shueman
    Every stat I read states acohol is responsible for more boating accidents / fatalities than any other cause. Where's Boatcop to back me up on this one?
    The majority of accidents are operator error, inexperience, and EXCESSIVE SPEED.....might want to read this: Coast Guard Stats (http://www.alcoholstats.com/mm/docs/2028.ppt#259,1,U.S. Coast Guard Boating Statistics)

MRS FLYIN VEE
    The majority of accidents are operator error, inexperience, and EXCESSIVE SPEED.....might want to read this: Coast Guard Stats (http://www.alcoholstats.com/mm/docs/2028.ppt#259,1,U.S. Coast Guard Boating Statistics)

ThongMagnet
    I understand and respect your point. But they drive ski boats, fishing boats (lot's of drinking goin on there) Pontoon boats (these guys are going to cause the next beer shortage, prices will be going up) and Bayliners. I understand that the death on Pyramid was in a runabout boat, achohol related. The deaths at the breakwater was due to mechanical faliures not HP.
    We know not all of the accidents are ***boat related, but if you have spent anytime on the big weekends at the lake, the boats going the fastest (over 70mph) are ***boats. (except for that one fishing boat who thinks he's a hot boat)
    Drinking is another issue. but not always related to high speeds.
    When I see a ***boat traveling 70 + MPH, and see no one wearing a life vest, I see that as reckless operation of a boat. No one is safe. Break a stringer, hit a floating log, roll your boat, etc... at that speed, and lets just say you better be lucky and a good swimmer.
    As an operator and owner, if you fail to insure the proper safety of your passengers, your opening up your self to huge liabilities. We may not be guilty, but we can be liable.

MRS FLYIN VEE
    We know not all of the accidents are ***boat related, but if you have spent anytime on the big weekends at the lake, the boats going the fastest (over 70mph) are ***boats. (except for that one fishing boat who thinks he's a hot boat)
    When I see a ***boat traveling 70 + MPH, and see no one wearing a life vest, I see that as reckless operation of a boat. No one is safe. Break a stringer, hit a floating log, roll your boat, etc... at that speed, and lets just say you better be lucky and a good swimmer.
    As an operator and owner, if you fail to insure the proper safety of your passengers, your opening up your self to huge liabilities. We may not be guilty, but we can be liable.
    well said.

77charger
    My lake boat cant even break 60 so i am safe.

ThongMagnet
    Indeed. Actually, they feel like needles jabbing into your face at speed up around 100.
    Have you been here?
    I Vacationed all my life in July at a place called West Lake Okoboji, in the midwest.
    Proper boat speed is somewhere between getting eaten alive, and being attack.
    Where suntan lotion is secondary to mesquito repellent.

shueman
    I'm an "old fart " for sure, but I enjoy a nice cold beer on a hot day at the lake like the rest of us.
    I just don't understood why someone has to drink heavily to enjoy boating. Just being out on the water is a "high" for me in itself...
    It's my opinion that these people are drinkers first, boaters second. Take away the boat/party and they'll find another place to catch their buzz. If they drink and drive their boat, their apt to drink and drive their car, motorcycle, sand-rail, etc.
    We enjoy our time at the lake and "boat where they ain't". Why take that risk...?? :220v:

shueman
    On the money TM.... :wink: