Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Blocks

Tee
    Anyone had any experience with Aluminum Blocks in a fresh water cooled application. Found a smokin deal on an Aluminum Donovan Block and wondering if it would be ok to persue that direction?

burbanite
    Shouldn't be a problem, have played with aluminum engines in jet boats before, what kind of system are you using for temp control? Just like a cast iron engine you would be best advised to keep the temps somewhat constant.

Tom Brown
    I'm curious how much weight can really be saved by going to aluminum with a big block V8. Is the weight saving substantial? Are the aluminum blocks as durable in terms of keeping the cylinders straight and round?

Unchained
    I'm sold on aluminum blocks. I figured it makes more sense to save weight in the engine components then the boat hull. I believe the weight savings over cast iron is 150 lbs.
    The aluminum blocks are extemely strong. They hold up to top fuel use and can be repaired after a blow up.

[ December 11, 2002, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Unchained ]

burbanite
    Tom Brown:
    I'm curious how much weight can really be saved by going to aluminum with a big block V8. Is the weight saving substantial? Are the aluminum blocks as durable in terms of keeping the cylinders straight and round?Off the top of my head I can't tell you what the difference is, although it was worth the effort and I do know that anytime you save weight you effectively get handed free horsepower, and it all adds up.
    Tee, are you talking big block or small block? Some guys are achieving great things with small blocks these days, if you have a big block already you might consider that as another option. Is this a direct change, i.e. big/big or small/small?
    Longevity wise, they hold up fairly well, the things were rebuilt constantly anyway so it wasn't an issue.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Big_Block.JPG[/img]

Tee
    Burbanite: My current system is a crossover - no thermostat. Never could get the cast motor to over 150 deg. (6-71 @ 10 psi 355 cu.in.) It is a small block I am looking at. 4.155 bore 4.00 stroke 436 cu. in. (I think?) Will use same 6-71 but go with different cam. I have been looking at building this same motor with a Dart or World block and just stumbled onto this aluminum one. For basically the same money as a new aftermarket cast. My only concern was corrosion. Other than that I know Alum blocks hold up well.
    Tom & Unchained: In the small block platform I would save 100 lbs + or -
    P.S. Sweet looking motors guys!!!!!!! jawdrop
    [ December 11, 2002, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Tee ]

DogHouse
    Hey Tee, so you're going to give the Mighty Mouse another shot of steroids eh? Should be fun! Will it be ready for next season?
    -brian

Tee
    Doghouse,
    Don't really know what I am doing yet, all I know for sure is there is a big empty hole in the back of my boat. Looking at a bunch of different options. I like the idea of a sleeper SBC (430 cu. in.) "Honest, its just a 350!!!!" =) The aluminum block was just a deal I stumbled onto.
    Also looking at a HP500EFI take out. Either way I hope to be back under power by the spring poker run?

Havasu Hangin'
    I was told that cast rusts, and aluminum corrodes...so pick your poison. Fresh water...no worries.
    I like that aluminum SBC idea...it's gotta save a couple hundred pounds minimum over a cast BBC with iron heads, and I'll bet you could easily make more power than that Merc HP500...
    [ December 12, 2002, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

DogHouse
    Yeah Tee, like your last motor was such a "sleeper", with a polished 6-71 and a pair of 750s sitting on top, surging and struggling to idle at 900rpm, right... "Really, it's totally stock." Ha!
    Is there any way to coat the inside of the water jackets with some sort of paint, or would it just end up flaking off?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast