Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: outa the box holley not right!

bakerjet
    holley 9380 850cfm brand new on a bbc, was having hell getting it to start and then it's way rich when it does start wont hardley idle so i look down in it when i killed the engine and notice gas running out a small slit in the back right barrell down near the throttle plate and causing the engine to be flooded when i go to start it checked the power valve (it had two gaskets on it removed one ) it seems to be ok what could be causing this or should i just send it back

bocco
    Try checking the float levels.

Now you know why there are so many carb modifiers.

Fiat48
    Carb guys tell me Summit sells seconds on carbs. Dont know that to be a fact but an awful lot of guys tell me that.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm thinking check the float levels too. Shouldn't be any idle circuitry on the rears. Too high and maybe pouring over an air bleed??

bakerjet
    yea i believe it! gonna send it back and just get my money back. its siphoning thru the rear idle circuit which leads me to believe that the metering plate is bad or has a plugged air fuel port alowing it to siphon either way i'm not gonna work on a brand piece

Lavey Huffer
    pretty much any outta the box carburetor is going to need some work once you really start looking at it.....even the good re-worked ones.Bent linkage from shipping etc..

...... Shouldn't be any idle circuitry on the rears. .......
    Well, all the ones with 4-corner idle had better have it .... Many hi-po Holleys have 4-corner idle. The 9380 falls into that category.

bakerjet
    pretty much any outta the box carburetor is going to need some work once you really start looking at it.....even the good re-worked ones.Bent linkage from shipping etc..
    i can handle set up, jets,power valves, acc. pump etc.... but not being able to get a good read on your timing because it's loading so hard during idle, then when i kill the engine watching a couple ounces of fuel drain into the intake well that just isn't gonna cut it i'll let yall know what holley said about sending it back. oh and i called holley tech about the problem and the guy told me i was spinnin my wheels trying to use a automotive carb on a boat to sell it and buy a marine carb no shit thats what he told me and then he said i should check my tank vents and that may be my problem what a freakin idiot

SmokinLowriderSS
    Well, all the ones with 4-corner idle had better have it .... Many hi-po Holleys have 4-corner idle. The 9380 falls into that category.
    Thx. I didn't realize the 9380 was a 4-corner idle setup. Coulda looked it up I guess. :idea:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast