Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do change a fuel pump in a 99 suburban

robsformula
    has anybody changed a fuel pump in a 99 suburban/in the fuel tank? I need a little advise on how to disconect the 2 fuel lines

TRUMP TIGHT
    By taking it to your local mechanic!:rollside:

robsformula
    i already have the fuel tank down and the 2 lines going directly to the pump are something like a quick disconect fitting. I cannot get them to release though

TRUMP TIGHT
    i already have the fuel tank down and the 2 lines going directly to the pump are something like a quick disconect fitting. I cannot get them to release though
    Hit em with a hammer that always seems to work for me!J/K!

myoung
    Go to the auto parts store to get the tool for separating them.
    Look like these, link-a-rama (http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/vehic...ine-tools.html)
    Lots of different styles, all pretty much do the same thing.

Kachina26
    I've done a couple Many of those tools (even the good ones) are a real bear to get in there properly. Your new fuel pump, should be the whole module. What I used to do, is work with the tool for a few minutes, and if that didn't pan out, break the fitting off of the module. It's much easier to remove the broken ends from the line without everything in your way. You're still gonna need the tool and a small pair of needle nose pliers.

Sleek-Jet
    Break 'em.... that's what I had to do.

robsformula
    Thanks everyone for the advise. I will go out this am and get the tool. I just wish that at the auto parts store they would have mentioned that I needed a special tool to seperate the 2 fuel lines. It would have been finished last night. What a pain in the a$$ this has become. But I will say I am saving some gas money for the weekend.

Jetdriver
    Its actually a Ford fuel line removal tool. Yes I said FORD. Your local autoparts store should have it no problem. Fuel pumps a pain in the ass but I changed mine a few months back in about 2 hours. Good luck.

Kachina26
    Thanks everyone for the advise. I will go out this am and get the tool. I just wish that at the auto parts store they would have mentioned that I needed a special tool to seperate the 2 fuel lines. It would have been finished last night. What a pain in the a$$ this has become. But I will say I am saving some gas money for the weekend. If you got that pump anywhere but the GM dealer, DON'T OPEN IT!!! RETURN IT!!!!! PAY THE EXTRA MONEY!!!!! You'll save the money on the tow bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast