Thread: Flywheel question

kcsteck
    my buddy and I were just talkin about this and wanted some advice. On his bigblock Chevy in his boat he has only a flexplate for a flywheel. in my bigblock Olds I have a 50 pound + flywheel. Im wanderin am I supposed to have the heavy flywheel or the flex plate. or vice a versa is he supposed to have the heavy flywheel vrs the flexplate? my motor only turns 4300 RPMs and its built!is this the anchor i have or what?
    Please advise,
    Casey

kp216
    I have a flex plate in my 403 Olds.
    I don't think having a flywheel versus a flex plate would have any effect on the rpm's your turning, only how fast your motor will accelerate to the rpm for the HP your impeller is absorbing.

IMPATIENT 1
    my buddy and I were just talkin about this and wanted some advice. On his bigblock Chevy in his boat he has only a flexplate for a flywheel. in my bigblock Olds I have a 50 pound + flywheel. Im wanderin am I supposed to have the heavy flywheel or the flex plate. or vice a versa is he supposed to have the heavy flywheel vrs the flexplate? my motor only turns 4300 RPMs and its built!is this the anchor i have or what?
    Please advise,
    Casey
    THERE'S BEEN ALOT OF THREADS ON THIS MILL AND SUBJECT. I THINK THE CONSENSUS WAS THAT THE LIGHTER FLEXPLATE WAS THE WAY TO GO ON A BBO.SURE WOULD RAP UP ALITTLE QUICKER NOT HAVIN TO TURN A HEAVY ASS FLYWHEEL.IF THE MOTOR HAS BEEN BALANCED,LEAVE IT ALONE!!THE FLYWHEEL WILL BE BALANCED TO THAT MILL AND THAT MILL ONLY.

kcsteck
    assuming I make the change to the flexplate, do i need a spacer to take up the width diff from flywheel to flexplate or can I just gey shorter bolts and driveshaft can just move that more foreword out of pump?
    Casey

kcsteck
    do I need a extra spacer to go from Heavyflwheel to skinny flexplate.?or does using smaller bolts and less driveshaft in the pump ok???im asking all these questions so I can fix all the stuff that dont seem right from prev owner.
    Casey

kcsteck
    someone got to know the answer to this question?
    Casey

Having a flywheel on your Olds is neither "wrong" nor uncommon. If you decide to swap for a flexplate buy a HIGH QUALITY one, not some cheapie from the local chain store.
    For the Chevy, there are different PTOs for the flexplates and flywheels. I don't see anyone listing a choice for the Olds. I would call some of the major marine hi-perfomance suppliers to see what is available.