Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 460 Fuel pump in/out clearance w/oil filter??

stashtrey
    I just got my new Holley mechanical fuel pump delivered today. I havent' had time to start swapping it out yet but I did take a look at the part and sized it up with my old one which is still attached.
    This new Holley pump has the in and out on opposite sides.... left and right when facing the pump. It looks like the 'in' is going to compete for space with my oil filter.
    My old pump has the in and out rotated very close together but this Holley unit doesn't seem to have the capability of moving the location of the in/out.
    Does anyone run a Holley mechanical pump and if you do... did you have issues with the oil filter interfering with the inlet?

460 jus getn it
    I just got my new Holley mechanical fuel pump delivered today. I havent' had time to start swapping it out yet but I did take a look at the part and sized it up with my old one which is still attached.
    This new Holley pump has the in and out on opposite sides.... left and right when facing the pump. It looks like the 'in' is going to compete for space with my oil filter.
    My old pump has the in and out rotated very close together but this Holley unit doesn't seem to have the capability of moving the location of the in/out.
    Does anyone run a Holley mechanical pump and if you do... did you have issues with the oil filter interfering with the inlet?
    They make a adapter that will move the in and out to the bottom of the pump. At least they do for my eldelbrock fuel pump......

Konabud
    PM 1968Droptop I know he just put one in his, I just got done putting a Carter in mine with no trouble.

stashtrey
    Jesus christ. I can't freaking believe this.
    Why the hell would they make a focking fuel pump that doesn't fit? I just don't get it. Seriously.... it's one damn thing after another. I really just never ends.
    You spend $100 on a fuel pump made for a 460 motor and they design it so you have to buy an adapter or some part to make it fit? I really just don't get it.
    Can you tell I'm pissed off right now?

÷קmᮆښ×÷
    Why the hell would they make a focking fuel pump that doesn't fit? I just don't get it. Seriously.... it's one damn thing after another. I really just never ends.
    You spend $100 on a fuel pump made for a 460 motor and they design it so you have to buy an adapter or some part to make it fit? I really just don't get it.
    Can you tell I'm pissed off right now?
    buy a CHEVY and dont worry about it

1968Droptop
    :
    HUH, I just put a new Holley FP (from Summit) on my 460, NO PROBLEM at all !!! It just bolted right on. I removed a VERY old Carter, which had the lines in a similar location, but the inlet/outlets were one size larger on the Holley....A GOOD THING if you ask me.
    P.S. KEEP the Ford engine, but if you do decide to go to the dark side, I'll take your old 460 :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

If you go to the Holley website and look up the part number, the description includes this line, "Fuel Body Casting Can Be Rotated to Accommodate Various Plumbing Situations". What this means is that you can remove the screws holding the 2 halves of the pump together, rotate the lower half to orient the inlet/outlet where they will work for your application, and then install and tighten the screws. This is common on all the various brands of high performance fuel pumps.

1968Droptop
    If you go to the Holley website and look up the part number, the description includes this line, "Fuel Body Casting Can Be Rotated to Accommodate Various Plumbing Situations". What this means is that you can remove the screws holding the 2 halves of the pump together, rotate the lower half to orient the inlet/outlet where they will work for your application, and then install and tighten the screws. This is common on all the various brands of high performance fuel pumps.
    I was going to make sure my pump was indeed that way before typing it. I was pretty sure but wanted to double check, and yup that's right on the money. Here's a pix of my new Holley, fit like a glove (unless it's OJ's).
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...cf0021-med.jpg

stashtrey
    Wow.
    I removed the lower half of my pump and rotated it and luckily I was able to get enough room to do it. Then I had to deal with the thing not fitting properly because of the front part of the motor... an aluminum plate. I used a metal file to file a portion of that down and low and behold the damn thing is on there now!
    Also... I went from having just under 4 psi at idle up to 6-7 now. It also holds that pressure for at least a minute after the engine is off.
    Crossing my fingers that this was my problem. Will take it out tomorrow after work and let it rip.
    Thanks for listening to my cry. :cry:

dmontzsta
    buy a CHEVY and dont worry about it
    Then you have to worry about all the other MAJOR problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast