Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Innercooler...Comparison

GN747
    Has anyone ever compared a Lee innercooler to a superchiller?

Inquirer
    THANKS GUYS FOR NOTHING...
    I GUESS NOT TO MANY PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT INTERCOOLERS, I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO
    CALL PAUL PFAFF...

Snowboat
    Pissy won't always get it. Type in intercoolers under search and click topics for the last year. Ultimately you'll find Whipplecharger's comments. That's probably why no one answered, because its been thoroughly discussed before.

lakesmodified
    Originally posted by Inquirer:
    THANKS GUYS FOR NOTHING...
    I GUESS NOT TO MANY PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT INTERCOOLERS, I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO
    CALL PAUL PFAFF...
    I hate to say it, but after the experience I've just had with a Paul Pfaff built engine, I wouldn't pay him a F**KING cent for his work!! I bought a 1982 Targa jet boat with a Paul Pfaff built, BDS blown 460 Ford. The engine has a total of 135 hours, and I disassembled it because of water intrussion into the oil. What I found after disassembly was: Worn out cam bearings, scored main journals, loose connecting rod bolts(shank looseness) the list goes on. I know it was built by Paul Pfaff because of the receipts and secondly, the "Paul Pfaff" name eched onto the crankshaft forward-most counter-weight. The gentleman I bought this boat from is 63 years old, and felt so bad for all the damage I've found, that he reimbursed me $1000.00 to help defray the costs of rebuilding. Maybe Paul Pfaff builds quality engines, but this one might have been the one that got away??? I've seen better work from "part house" engine rebuilders.... Ivan

Blown509Liberator
    lakesmodified
    here you on that... I had a motor built by B&B performance(http://www.snowcrest.net/bb8596/index.html) in Redding Ca.
    If you look on the spec sheet I have attached it clearly states Cola Crankshaft and JE pistons where installed. After opening it up what did I find? Scat crank and SRP pistons. It is a little disturbing a company can be this dishonest
    http://nothinbutjets.homestead.com/f...Bspecsheet.jpg
    MikeW
    [This message has been edited by Blown509Liberator (edited June 10, 2002).]

lakesmodified
    Liberator; I would be completely pissed in your shoes... Not that I too was upset upon the disassembly of my engine, but then again, I wasn't the one that originally paid Pfaff for the engine. Of course, I did "indirectly" pay for his lousy work when I purchased the boat, thinking that the engine should last quite a few years before having to be freshened up. Fortunately though, mine did have the J&E blower pistons, but then again, that's because the gentleman I bought the boat from, purchased them directly from J&E, and then handed the parts to Pfaff racing. I guess that's the way to go in the future: Buy all the parts yourself, and then have them build it... But, then, why even bother with these builders? I can assemble an engine with the best of them, and I have something they don't have; "A vested interest" in the longetivity of the powerplant. Sorry to hear about your mishap. Ivan

Whipple Charged
    The Lee has a larger core and more square area than the Superchiller and will cool the air more depending on which boost level. The higher you go, the further the temps are different. The Lee is more expensive, it also has smaller passages which can lead to clogging more frequently, the Superchiller is pretty open and is supported a bit better so it's core is more robust. The Lee can sometimes crack because of all the water setting in it with the engine vibration and constant pressure against it.
    We have our intercooler and have replacement cores for the Lee that have larger passages, are made of Cupronickel/copper which is far superior to aluminum cores and will never corrode. It is also a much more heavy duty construction for the constant abuse the marine enviornment places on the units.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Inquirer
    Thanks for the info Dustin,
    Were going to try the superchiller first, because its already on the engine, then the Lee....
    This weekend I think, pretty sure..
    hopefully the superchiller will work well.
    and cool enough, and not to much manifold pressure.
    Have you ever heard of the superchiller not
    good enough for engines that have over say
    1100 horses?

Whipple Charged
    It really depends on the engine, but it needs tremendous amounts of water to bring the temp down near the Lee or ours. I would look at running dual 12 in or even dual 16 in and the same out.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Blown Sleek
    Anyone know of a inercooler for sale cheep? Used? bbc 8-71
    [This message has been edited by Blown Sleek (edited June 18, 2002).]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast