Thread: Project boat questions...sorry for any repeats

MISSING
    I've got most of the parts to start putting my boat together, and had a couple questions. The pump I am using was rebuilt years ago but is still in good condition. Although, when spun by hand there is a constant and consistant noise. Is this normal? From what I read yesterday the pump may be spinning slightly too easily. Would the packing cause noise? Also I have the droop from the pump that came with the boat (see pic), will a Place diverter hook up to it? If not, could it be machined to work? Is the fine tune diverter alot better? Lastly about the intake, should the bolts be filled, or will drag be minimal? And are the mods that have been done due to repair or performance (see pic)? Thanks for your time and input

I've got most of the parts to start putting my boat together, and had a couple questions. The pump I am using was rebuilt years ago but is still in good condition. Although, when spun by hand there is a constant and consistant noise. Is this normal? From what I read yesterday the pump may be spinning slightly too easily. Would the packing cause noise? Also I have the droop from the pump that came with the boat (see pic), will a Place diverter hook up to it? If not, could it be machined to work? Is the fine tune diverter alot better? Lastly about the intake, should the bolts be filled, or will drag be minimal? And are the mods that have been done due to repair or performance (see pic)? Thanks for your time and input
    ys a place diverter will hook to it & work fine...it appears the plate on the back is some kind of ride plate hook-up for turn buckles?
    i may be wrong, but the intake looks to me to be for a circle boat? (higher on 1 side than the other)...as far as the pump goes...i would PM DuaneHTP & talk to him...he's very good!
    fastrat

victorfb
    try to find were the noise in the pump is coming from. could be some dirt/debrit between the wear ring and impellor. bearing may be going bad, ect. you need to address that.
    the droop will accept a place diverter. the fine tune nozzles are just that. they can be fine tuned for performance on differant set ups. not a huge gain.
    the intake fins or should i say fin, may have been broken, but my guess is it was used for circle boat racing. cutting the one fin allows the pump to stay loaded in hard turns. what is your intention for this boat? lake/river boat id say have the fin repaired. especially if you are adding lots of power.
    hard to see the cap screws in the pic. mostly they are counter sunk a bit and filled with epoxy. if they pertrude, you may want to reinstall them.

El Prosecutor
    when spun by hand there is a constant and consistant noise. Is this normal? From what I read yesterday the pump may be spinning slightly too easily. Would the packing cause noise?
    Have you inspected the impeller? Aluminum impeller dragging on stainless wear ring can be noisy and expensive.
    How is the thrust bearing? Damaged, dirty, or corroded thrust bearing can make noise and cause big problems.
    Is there oil in the bowl?
    Play in the shaft may indicate a damaged thrust bearing or bowl bearings, both of which might make noise.

MISSING
    As far as I know the boat was a circle boat, I will be using as a lake/river boat, with a 550 hp BBC, and an A impeller. I will be ordering a place diverter in the next day or two. I'm gonna pull the pump apart tonight and take a look at the wear ring, or see if I need to replace the tail bushings. Thanks for everyones input.

MISSING
    No play in the shaft...hopefully be able to fiugure it out once its apart

Definatly a circle boat modifiaction to that one fin on the intake. You can run it like that on the lake without any problems.
    the screws are not that bad but could be better, if you have the time and energy fix em.
    the noise in the pump is probably just some crap in between the impeller and wear ring.