Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pump Pickup Installation?

miller19j
    Ok I have my oil pump and my pickup and want to know the correct way to install this thing before I screw it up. The parts appear to be a press fit but I canÂ’t see any easy way to press them together. How do you do it? Once I get them together do I need to weld them, Glue them, Braze them to stay together?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

GofastRacer
    Ok, everyone says to weld the pickup, well i've done that and I've had it break along the weld and also had the housing warp and cause the relief valve to stick!. Whatever you do, don't braze it, it will probably fall off when you torque down the pump!. I know I'll get nailed to the wall for this by Info and Fiat for this but this has worked flawlesly for me for over 20 yrs!. I spread "Locktite Bearing Race Retainer" on the pickup, then I use this tool to install the pickup, then I wrap safety wire around the lip of the pickup and around the pump housing, that way if it was to come loose (I've never had one come loose yet), the pickup can't fall off!. This may sound crude to the pro's but it works for me!... Just my .02...
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12Oil_Pump_Tool-med.jpg[/img]

Infomaniac
    In addition to what Go Fast said: Too many methods to debate.
    Install the pickup so it hits the bottom of the pan and keeps the pan from going on all the way. Shove the pan down, it will spin the pick up tube. Take the pan off and measure from the block to the highest point on the tube. Spin the tube to where it will have 3/8 inch gap from the bottom of the pan. Spot Weld, lock tite or safety wire or all 3.
    This assumes a stock type set up. Milodon has a pick up tube with a brace that runs to the pump. A little foot on the screen that is supposed to touch the bottom of the pan. Gives 1/4 inch clearance. Not much you can do about it. Was going to post pics. They sucked.
    [ March 13, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Fiat48
    "Nailed to the Wall" . I share the concern about welding or brazing as this tends to warp the pump housing. The main thing is a tight fit. I used to weld or braze, but now I make a strap that bolts back to the pump. On the V drive stuff, the pickup is generally bolted to the main studs which also makes me feel better. But, generally I have found oil pump pickups fall out because:
    A: They were not tight in the beginning.
    B: The engine isn't balanced right. Seen oil pumps broken in 1/2.
    The bearing retainer sealant is also a good idea. Remember it's not just about the pickup falling off, it's about sucking air at the pickup too.

Or buy a Dooley pickup that bolts to a main bolt, can't come out (heavy duty), and has centerless ground end for precision fit in the oil pump.

GofastRacer
    Infomaniac:
    Install the pickup so it hits the bottom of the pan and keeps the pan from going on all the way. Shove the pan down, it will spin the pick up tube. Take the pan off and measure from the block to the highest point on the tube. Spin the tube to where it will have 3/8 inch gap from the bottom of the pan. Spot Weld, lock tite or safety wire or all 3.
    This assumes a stock type set up. Milodon has a pick up tube with a brace that runs to the pump. A little foot on the screen that is supposed to touch the bottom of the pan. Gives 1/4 inch clearance. Not much you can do about it. Was going to post pics. They sucked. Yeah, I was assuming a stock pickup(BTW, I like your measuring technique, LOL). That Milodon deal is a good one, I've used it before!..

GofastRacer
    Fiat48:
    "Nailed to the Wall" . I share the concern about welding or brazing as this tends to warp the pump housing. The main thing is a tight fit. I used to weld or braze, but now I make a strap that bolts back to the pump. On the V drive stuff, the pickup is generally bolted to the main studs which also makes me feel better. But, generally I have found oil pump pickups fall out because:
    A: They were not tight in the beginning.
    B: The engine isn't balanced right. Seen oil pumps broken in 1/2.
    The bearing retainer sealant is also a good idea. Remember it's not just about the pickup falling off, it's about sucking air at the pickup too. That's what I'm saying!, if a pickup starts going in easy, it's a trash can piece!..What I was assuming was he was using a stock type pickup!, for serious stuff, I definitly use an aftermarket pickup!...

GofastRacer
    Rexone:
    Or buy a Dooley pickup that bolts to a main bolt, can't come out (heavy duty), and has centerless ground end for precision fit in the oil pump. Those are badass!..

miller19j
    The pickup is an aftermarket (probably stock) that came with my oil pan. It is definitely not loose! As a matter of fact I canÂ’t figure out how to get it in. I donÂ’t have one of those tools and donÂ’t really want to buy one if I donÂ’t have to so what is the best way to get this thing on my pump?
    I like the sealant and wire idea or I may go machine a bracket to hold it in but for now I canÂ’t get it in. Are there any tricks to get it in? Should I stick this thing in the freezer and then try it or what?
    [ March 13, 2003, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: miller19j ]

Infomaniac
    GofastRacer:
    Infomaniac:
    This assumes a stock type set up. Milodon has a pick up tube with a brace that runs to the pump. A little foot on the screen that is supposed to touch the bottom of the pan. Gives 1/4 inch clearance. Not much you can do about it. Was going to post pics. They sucked. Yeah, I was assuming a stock pickup(BTW, I like your measuring technique, LOL). That Milodon deal is a good one, I've used it before!.. I only use that method with stock pans and pick up tubes. Do not install the tube all the way until you get 3/8 clearance, foregot to add that. Hope he reads this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast