Thread: 460 heads, does this sound right?

76 Sleekcraft
    After much imput and doing some investigating, I think I have this figured out. My 76 has the smog bosses in the heads exhaust ports. They come up near the valve stem and have a hole in the center of them. The info I have is that they can be ground down smooth, and all it will do is increase performance without any damage to the head itself. It is really important that I get this right, as I am already way too deep in this project (money wise) to ever see daylight. Screwing up a set of heads would be a serious problem. Please advise.

Blown 472
    How many times you going to post this stuff?? did you read the stuff at reincarnation??

76 Sleekcraft
    Yup, I read it. Sorry if it offended you.
    Just trying to be sure. Please accept my apologies, I'll be stabbing myself in the eye with a pen now.........

Blown 472
    Dont do that, the reason I push that site is it the best info I have seen for our heads and you can print all the stuff off and follow it and from what I have read there you just dont want to grind the snot out of them, I too just thought grind like hell but what they are saying goes agianst alot of that thinking. Just trying to help a fellow ford boater out thats all, and in need of some caffine, if I came off as a dick, I am sorry. wink

76 Sleekcraft
    I understand. This is the first ford I have messed with, and like always, I spend too much to achieve too little. It ain't easy being me....
    Thanks.

Blown 472
    You might want to talk to 058, he is a good source of info also. Take a good look at the bearings in your motor, I found on few of the blocks I have the first main covers most of the hole that feeds oil to the first cam bearing and the dist gear.

mister460
    Start grinding and don't stop till you think it's smooth. There is an assload of iron there. I think almost 5/8 of an inch. Don't worry about the hole in it.

TheDude7667
    Yeah i did grinding on that air hole before. It isnt so bad. Go buy a die grinder with a tungsten bit. You probaly want the big one and the little bit so you can get around the valve guide and take some more metal off. Dont forget you need the tungsten bits because a regualar iron bit or something will wear out in seconds.

HOSS
    Grind, grind, grind! Free HP! I tell you now about 45hp! Don`t take my word for it though, dyno before and after. Chamfer oil return holes in lifter valley for quick oil return, block off heat risers, drop in roller rockers from Crane. And you thought a Ford didn`t make power for cheap! This is something that the GM engineers forgot. I guess thats why the Camaro faired out so well.