Thread: problems need help!!!

gixxer6
    i dont know what the problem is my boat runs storng and sounds good out of the water. but i put it in the water 4 the first time and as soon as i get in the throttle it back fires through the carb at first i thought it might be the timing but i checked that and it fine and then i thought may be it was the carb but i dont know any and all help would be great .
    i just need i mean need to get on the water

Cas
    what kind of engine? Olds?
    what kind of exhaust?
    what kind of pump?
    more info needed

lilrick
    so did it run bad too, or just pop the one time? There are so many possibilities, it's hard to know where to begin.

lilrick
    i dont know what the problem is my boat runs storng and sounds good out of the water. but i put it in the water 4 the first time and as soon as i get in the throttle it back fires through the carb at first i thought it might be the timing but i checked that and it fine and then i thought may be it was the carb but i dont know any and all help would be great .
    i just need i mean need to get on the water
    just some possibilities:
    bad gas?
    water in fuel?
    wet ignition?
    bad valve?
    tight valve?
    lean/rich?
    ignition timing?
    bad plug wire?
    etc.

Moneypitt
    Sounds like a lazy accelerator pump. Regardless of carb brand the squirt has to happen as the butterflys open and allow additional air into the engine. As a test, with the engine OFF, airfilter removed, look into the carb with plenty of light, and just ever so slightly move the throttle shaft 1/16th of an inch. Did the squirter squirt? This is not a second chance deal, if you had to do it again to make it squirt the accel. circuit is bleeding off. If it didn't squirt, then that is what is leaning the engine out and making it pop back. Also, if it's a Holley your power valve is now blown, so it may be rebuild time..........This is a simple FREE test, so check it first.............It may not pop on the trailer, although it might, but once you load the engine it is alot more demanding for proper fuel / air ratio than when un loaded............MP