Thread: First run on the motor and a spark plug check

rerfert
    First run on the 460 ford motor and the new plugs after a spark plug check turn up looking like this??
    http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/alb...003F.sized.jpg
    http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/alb...004F.sized.jpg
    I put the boat in at Squaw lake and eased it up to Fishers/Fergison...then hours later eased it back to Squaw lake (3000rpm on plane)
    All 8 plugs look pretty much the same thru the no wake zone to the dock(look lean to me at 1600rpm/boat tach reading headed to the loading ramp)
    Boat idled weird?/choppy all the time(Motor looks good inside and is 30 over, has an Edelbrock 750 carb,Edelbrock Streetmaster intake with narrow 3/4" port runners, D3## heads,Mallory dist,and I don't know what cam.)
    Runs well off idle but idles worse when the timing is at 8*BTDC and with 3 turns out on the mixture screws.
    Where should I start to dial this thing in?? More fuel??
    Why does the Edelbrock Streetmaster intake have narrow 3/4" port runners??

Lavey Huffer
    there's a trick for setting the idle screws ,get a handheld tach or have somebody watch the tach,
    very lightly tap the acc. pump with your finger and see if idle goes down it is on the rich side,
    if it revs it is on the lean side..
    split the difference and the idle circuit should be set.
    what it your total advance?
    looks lean with alot of timing
    also could have a vac. leak

rerfert
    Lavey Huffer there's a trick for setting the idle screws ,get a handheld tach or have somebody watch the tach,
    very lightly tap the acc. pump with your finger and see if idle goes down it is on the rich side,
    if it revs it is on the lean side..split the difference and the idle circuit should be set.
    That I will have to try...How much pressure,less than it takes to click a ball point pen?
    what it your total advance?
    No Idea as of yet...The more I bring it closer to 8*BTDC the worse it idles.
    This is a mystery motor to me other than the parts I put back on it to get it running again...The previous owner had the intake,carb,dist,wires,valve covers, air cleaner,coil and some other parts ripped off while in storage at his friends house (The previous owner I believe has somewhat of a weed problem and could not even remember what parts were even on it when he owned it )
    looks lean with alot of timing That's what it looks like to me....I'll try to fatten it up and set the initial timing at 8*-10*BTDC and see if it will idle.
    also could have a vac. leak Everything is pluged and I have not found any leaks BUT not totally rulled that out either...Just haven't found a leak.
    Thanks for the input.

502 JET
    Unless the advance is locked out in your distributor you should set/check your timing with the engine revved up so you get full advance.You dont want to end up running too much timing when wide open.Get the timing rite then fix your mixture problem.I have no experience with those edelbrocks carbs so I cant give you any info on how to get more fuel out of it.

rerfert
    502 JET Unless the advance is locked out in your distributor you should set/check your timing with the engine revved up so you get full advance.You dont want to end up running too much timing when wide open.
    The advance is not locked out and running with the pump on the garden hose....reving wot is not an option.Get the timing rite then fix your mixture problem.The carb was bought used and off a(suposedly running) 454 chevy (should run a 460 ford) I initally cleaned the used carb (It's clean and 3 turns out) set the timing at 8* BTDC but it would not idle at all....had to keep blipping the throtle untill I turned the idel screw in some.Always been choppy though (like a bigger cam)
    I have no experience with those edelbrocks carbs so I cant give you any info on how to get more fuel out of it.
    I also have a 625 on my truck,they are very/easily tuneable....I think the boat is more a timing thing.
    I'll start from square one again and put it on the lake Saturday 17th.

LakesOnly
    The Streetmaster intake is absolutely the most inappropriate (not to mention the hands-down worst) intake you can put on a 460 in a jet boat. <-----I am being nice. The Carter 750 isn't helping matters...
    Yank the intake and take it to a foundry. Then find yourself an intake that has the passenger car size oval ports like that of your D3VE heads. The Edelbrock Victor would be nice. If you can afford it, get a Holley carburetor too. 460's like hella spark, hella air & hella fuel; you can't get there from here...not with the components you have for an induction system.
    Without ditching those parts (particularly the intake) I feel there is little point in my making suggsetions.
    LO

rerfert
    LakesOnlyThe Streetmaster intake is absolutely the most inappropriate (not to mention the hands-down worst) intake you can put on a 460 in a jet boat. <-----I am being nice. The Carter 750 isn't helping matters...
    Thanks LakesOnly for the input, I was looking for that info on the intake.
    So sell the boat quick you say
    That was the plan....buy it fix it sell for an open bow jet
    Yank the intake and take it to a foundry. Then find yourself an intake that has the passenger car size oval ports like that of your D3VE heads. The Edelbrock Victor would be nice.
    Actually the intake was bought becuase it was the only thing I could find at the time ($50) Didn't know the runners were SO narrow till it show at the door
    If you can afford it, get a Holley carburetor too. 460's like hella spark, hella air & hella fuel; you can't get there from here...not with the components you have for an induction system.
    I like the Edelbrock carbs/simplicity and they seem to like me...I believe I have plenty of spark.
    Without ditching those parts (particularly the intake) I feel there is little point in my making suggsetions.
    LO
    Now that I know the motor runs and it is a crusier boat till sold....I would like to find a preformer or something better.Searching as I post.

sgross
    I Did not think that intake was right!! You are wright it is time to sell and get a open bow and a kite tube

rerfert
    I Did not think that intake was right!! You are right it is time to sell and get an open bow and a kite tube
    Welcome to the board
    The intake has served it's purpose in the respect that it was cheap and allowed me to hear the motor run.
    Caused a few more gray hairs getting there though.
    I see an open bow in the future,crystal ball is a little fuzzy on when....as for the kite tube??
    I feel a little older than I did yestersday and I hear everytime someone crashes hard on them the price comes down.