Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake McClure? Bass Lake? any good for camping?

Rocket-J
    Of your two choices, Lake McClure is by far the best. It has an arm that runs several miles up to the Bagby Bridge. A senic run that is quiet and pieceful. If you plan ahead, there are several campgrounds with a wonderful view of the lake.
    Don Pedro is one of my favorite lakes, but the campgrounds can get to be a Zoo. Both sides of the lake.
    I have camped at McClure and made a day trip over to Don Pedro or New Melones from there. New Melones is a secret lake we don't tell anyone about. It is FREE and has a long arm that has great scenery(sp). Not that good for camping, but great for boating. All three of these lake are with-in about 25 miles of each other. Go buy the "Califonia Lakes" book and check out the possibilities. Camping World has them, along with other places. Have fun. Al

shueman
    Shaver Lake is up at 5000 ft in elevation, when it is hot in the valley, Shaver Lake is the place to go boating & camping. Great days, cool nights. Plus Trees, Trees & more Trees.
    Shaver is our fav....Camp Edison is a great campground, but will SELL OUT in the summer. You can check things out here. SCE/Edison Campground (http://www.sce.com/CommunityandRecreation/Camping/)
    Last few trips we rented a cabin...

Sherpa
    I've camped at all three.....
    pedro: you'll probably have to launch/load the boat daily........ it's firggen hot.
    McClure: pretty much the same as pedro. not as many boats.
    Shaver: nice temps, water is very clear. I'd go there before the other 2.
    nobody mentioned New Melones:
    about the same as pedro/mcclure.
    --Sherpa

wedge44
    Like everyone stated "it is small" .....But Bass is classic in september....when everyone else is back in school........ Bass is CLASSIC..... No on there...I've sat on the dock at my cousin's house all day and watched maybe 3 boats all day .......And it's perfect for polishing the prop at end of the season...wedge

UltraStealth
    Don Pedro is the best. Been going there since I was a kid and by far one of the best all around lakes.

Eliminator 4 Life
    Don Pedro is the best. Been going there since I was a kid and by far one of the best all around lakes.
    How come I have never met you. They call me the Mayor there since Im a Don Pedro High school graduate

UltraStealth
    How come I have never met you. They call me the Mayor there since Im a Don Pedro High school graduate
    Last year when I went up you never showed. I believe you had something going on that week. I usually go up once or twice a summer since it is a drive for us from LA. Next time I go up I'll let you know.

DirtySquirty
    Everybody mentions how small Bass Lake is (T true), but I can't believe that nobody has mentioned that you MUST run Marine Carbs or you won't be boating at Bass Lake. All Boats are inspected at the launch. I was turned away due to non-marine carbs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12