Thread: Beef Up Bravo I --- Procharger probs ???

superdave
    i have merc 502s---i am looking to put prochargers on both m3-7psi
    1. will i have problams with my bravo?
    2. can i beef it up and what do i replace if so?
    3. will the motors have any problams? (i have had frends with whipples and they had head gaskets blown)
    thanks

Craig
    What year Bravo? XR, XZ ?

TCHB
    Last year at the ramp I was talking to a person with a 454MPI Mercury with a procharger that blew the head gaskes twice.

Craig
    superdave:
    i have merc 502s---i am looking to put prochargers on both m3-7psi
    1. will i have problams with my bravo?
    2. can i beef it up and what do i replace if so?
    3. will the motors have any problams? (i have had frends with whipples and they had head gaskets blown)
    thanks 1) If it's an XZ or XR, I'd say no. The centrifugul blowers are easier on the drive then the roots style blower since the bulk of their power comes in at a higher rpm. You can upgrade the stock gears if it's not at least an XZ, but IMCO says, "The stock XZ's are stronger than any of the aftermarket stuff offered for the standard Bravo set."
    2) Yes, see above, weak spot is the upper gear set. Specifically the floor of the gear which will break out under hard use. Mine lasted 35 hours
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/gear.JPG[/img]
    3) If you're going to run 7#'s boost, good head gaskets, valves. Make sure your ignition and fuel delivery is adequate.
    [ January 31, 2003, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

superdave
    there bravo 1's

playdeep
    Any body have any knowledge about using Bravo1 diesel gears to upgrade thier stock B1?.
    I have been talking to a guy who is selling his 25ft. cat with a blown 509(approx 650hp).The guy says he has over 50hrs with these gears with no problems.
    I talked to a couple of shops in Havasu regarding this upgrade,and they said that before all of the new high-tech whiz bang(i.e.EXPENSIVE)upgrades came about that this was a pretty decent (i.e.Reasonable)way to get a stock bravo to live a bit longer...

Dave F
    If you dont beat it up you'll be ok.
    I had a Pro Charged 850hp/4500lb boat with a stock b1 for an entire season with no problems.
    I'm moving up to around 1300 hp this year on a 5500lb boat. I will use the stock b1 for a baseline to then order an upgraded model from someone like Max Machine Worx or Billet Marine.
    DAVE

502procharger
    ran a 600hp+ procharged 502 foe an entire season with no problems with my stock bravo 1. Easy out of the hole and easy on re-entry and you should be ok.