Thread: BBC timing question

Trouble Maker
    With the dots/marks on the timing set lined up...Is this top dead center on the compresion stroke???

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yes.
    Is best tho to also make sure the all at the same time that the crank is TDC, just where TDC is compared to the timing indicator and balancer (put them on temp). Most people will also advise degreeing the cam to make sure it opperates at the times it is supposed to. If not, is a simple matter to adjust the advance/retard of the cam to get it dead on and account for any variance in either the referenced grind, dowel pin location, crank keyway location, anything that would throw off the cam to crank base reference.

Wicked Performance Boats
    NO No No!!! When the timing dots on the timing chain are lined up. It's not on #1 top dead center! I used to think so but those marks are for setting up the proper cam timing. It's 180 out. I used to try to install the timing set and try to keep it in the same position til I fired the motor. Then I finally figured out that it's 180 Degrees out. Turn engine in proper rotation till the intake valve closes and then align the marks on timing tab and the crank. Budlight

With the dots lined up closest to each other on cam and crank gears you are at Cylinder #6 TDC compression. Rotate crank one revolution. This puts both dots at the top of their respective gears. This is Cylinder #1 TDC compression stroke.

Trouble Maker
    Thanks... I got it... Both motors fired right up and ran great..