Thread: Arneson ASD6 conversion

Wicked
    Anyone tried the Arneson ADS6 Surface Drive in place of a conventional I/O? Getting tired of replacing outdrives, and seriously considering this unit.

Washed Ashore
    I have talked to Rick at Arneson ind. he said they will warranty that drive for 1yr to 1000HP! kit comes complete helm,motor mount,stand-off box/w trans and all hardware $15,000.Looks sweet,great deal w/warranty!!!

25 Eagle
    How much are the "premium" drives worth?

Craig
    If you have a notched center pod on a cat you have to fill that whole notch in to run the Arneson to Bravo conversion kit. Looks like the only pain in the rear.
    Craig

pleasantcat
    craig, notched center pod??? like a step in the pod? please edjumicate me... s

Washed Ashore
    Craig,they put that drive on a howard 26 cat,I dont know what you mean about filling a stepped center pod,would like more input.

hulshot
    I have a 26 Howard, How did the drive work and what was the finall cost??

Craig
    Sean, step in the pod is about right, if you look at my center pod from the side, the bottom doesn't run straight back to meet the transom. The bottom runs straight until about a foot from the back, then it steps up vertically about 4 inches then continues back to meet the transom. This allows the water passing the bottom of the boat to start angling up towards the prop earlier then coming directly off of the transom. Supposedly allows for a higher X dimension.
    Washed Ashore, that "step" in the pod would actually have to be glassed in so the bottom ran straight back to meet the transom without the step. This is because the lower lip of the standoff box would hang down into the water if the notch or step, wasn't filled in. I got a quote and to handle about 900 horsepower there was only two minor upgrades which added about a grand to the price. Nice complete kit if not for that step issue.
    Craig

RiverDave2
    Wicked:
    Anyone tried the Arneson ADS6 Surface Drive in place of a conventional I/O? Getting tired of replacing outdrives, and seriously considering this unit.I dunno if you saw but there was a guy looking to purchase an B-Max (I'm sure he'd be ok with an equivalent though)if someone stepped up to this. (I think its in ***boats but I'll post a link to it tomorrow).
    It would be cheaper for him to buy your drive and fix it then buy a new one.
    Might help to recoop some of the costs of the change over.
    RD
    [ November 19, 2002, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: RiverDave2 ]

502procharger
    i am looking for a used b-max, but mine is going to be behind a 1350hp turbine. what drive are you looking to get rid of. how much hp are you running through it. i cant run a suface drive b/c my center pod is not low enough. i need a drive that hangs down. let me know whats up