Thread: Aluminum manifold cleaner

RH
    Whats a good cleaner for an aluminum manifold with rust , fuel , and oil stains that can be used with out pulling the manifold off the motor .

77charger
    try a carb cleaner the spray type.

lovemyultra
    I tried everything and nothing works but if you do take it off get it bead blasted for 35 bucks and mine came out like brand new

schiada96
    If you want it clean get some aluminum etch from a welding supply house. It will clean it ,be careful no to get it on any polished alum, and don't leave it on too long or the casting will turn grey
    [ October 29, 2002, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: schiada96 ]

73kona455
    after having it bead blasted have it sprayed with clear imron... looks great and cleans easily...

HammerDown
    I don't know about the Imron taking the high heat...may brown. I've used VHT Hi-Temp Clear it holds up great!

GofastRacer
    Is that VHT Hi-Temp gas proof??.. eek!

HammerDown
    I,ve spilt fuel on it when removing/instaling carb etc...its not an issue after its been cured...but then again I'll wipe the fuel off asap.
    Little tip...after the manifold is sand blasted, try not to finger it to much...and wash it down with soap and hot water before spraying, and just go for 2-3 THIN coats of clear!

GofastRacer
    Thanks Hammer, I'll have to try it!, I found that Simple Green works great as a final wash before paint too!..

spectras only
    RH, go to home depot and get some muriatic acid.I assume this is the intake manifold [if it's the exhaust manifold ,use Autosol].Remove all the fittings and the carburator. Tape the intake hole with duct tape and brush the acid on the manifold only.Leave it on for a few minutes and than thoroughly rinse it with soapy water. BTW ,you need a Khiekafer trim tab on your avitar model,hehe
    [ November 01, 2002, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]