Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teaching math....

73beast
    Don't know if this has been posted here before.......
    Last week I purchased a burger and fries at McDonalds for = $3.58.
    The counter girl took my $4.00 and I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies. While looking at the screen on her register, I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.
    Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950's:
    Teaching Math In 1950
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?
    Teaching Math In 1960
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?
    Teaching Math In 1970
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?
    Teaching Math In 1980
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.
    Teaching Math In 1990
    A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living?
    Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)
    Teaching Math In 2005
    Un ranchero vende una carretera de madera para $100. El cuesto de la produccion era $80. Cuantos tortillas se puede comprar?

Phat Matt
    Que? :rollside:

cxr133
    That is funny.....
    but it just occurred to me that i never did find out in all my years of living
    what happens:
    when an unstoppable force hits an unmovable object????

hoolign
    Oh no. Pretty soon the math skills will degrade to the same level as the grammar, spelling and punctuation on Hot Boat.
    You neglected to insert "humanity"

hoolign
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the word.
    It rhymes with stupidity

hoolign
    Hey, you're doing so good at rhyming, maybe we can work on your colors tomorrow. Will start with yellow.
    Wear whatever your used to

hoolign
    How do you think them up so fast?
    I have a whole SWB data base to C/P from

JetBoatRich
    almost makes you laugh that they can not make change with out looking at the screen
    They get screwed up after asking if you have change and can't make adjustments :cry:

hoolign
    Really? You managed to make a whole database from a couple PMs. You need some new material, you ain't funny in the least.
    That is new! I may not be funny ..but your still an idiot

hoolign
    Ok, fine, I'm an idiot, but at least I'm funny. You're not funny at all. And you're an idiot.
    Ohh your funny allright..in a polio kinda way

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast