Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: As wholy honest as Michael Moore is

SmokinLowriderSS
    Perhaps some of his supporters can explain the descrepancy between these 2 recent stories. The first from MM's website, the 2nd, CNN's version, same event.
    http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/la...ex.php?id=6917
    May 19th, 2006 7:55 am
    Four prisoners attempt suicide at Guantanamo camp
    GUANTANAMO BAY U.S. NAVAL BASE (Reuters) - Four Guantanamo prisoners tried to commit suicide on Thursday and several others attacked guards who rushed in to halt one of the attempts, a camp spokesman said.
    Three took overdoses of prescription medicine they had apparently been hoarding, and the fourth tried to hang himself, said Cmdr. Robert Durand, a detention camp spokesman. None of the suicide attempts succeeded, he said.
    “At this point, I have no idea of motive, no idea of any co-ordination and no idea of any intended message,” Durand said.
    The attempted hanging took place in a medium-security camp where prisoners live in groups of up to 10 men in long bays lined with metal cots. When guards entered the unit, roommates “tried to prevent them from rescuing the detainee by using fans, light fixtures and other items as improvised weapons,” Durand said.
    Guards halted the attempted hanging, quelled the disturbance and moved the roommates to a maximum-security area, Durand said.
    The three who took overdoses were treated with activated charcoal to absorb and neutralize the medications, and two were held for observation in the camp hospital, Durand said.
    The detention camp at the U.S. naval base in Cuba holds about 460 prisoners in five separate compounds. Durand said guards were searching all of the cells for contraband.
    The United States has faced criticism from human rights groups and some of its allies for holding prisoners at Guantanamo indefinitely. Some have been there since the camp opened in January 2002.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americ...ash/index.html U.S. military: Gitmo suicide attempt a ruse
    Prisoner reportedly faked hanging self to lure guards into room
    WASHINGTON (CNN)—A Guantanamo Bay prisoner staged a fake suicide attempt to draw U.S. troops into a room where they were attacked by other prisoners, military leaders at the camp told reporters Friday.
    U.S. troops used rubber bullets and a sponge grenade to subdue the prisoners, who were armed with improvised weapons such as sticks, light fixtures and parts of fans.
    “The detainees had slickened the floor of their block with feces, urine and soapy water in an attempt to trick the guards,” said Rear Adm. Harry Harris, the commander of Joint Task Force Guantanamo. “They then assaulted the guards.” (Watch as officials say guards were tricked—1:49)
    When U.S. troops intervened, they were attacked by prisoners and it took about an hour to regain order, the Pentagon said.
    Prisoners in the medium-security area are generally housed in dormitory-style rooms that hold 10 people.
    The inmates involved in the attack were moved to the prisonÂ’s maximum-security block after the incident. The Pentagon would not say how many prisoners were involved.
    About 500 detainees from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are being held at the U.S. Navy facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and the military said ThursdayÂ’s incident was the first of its kind.
    News of the suicide ruse came as the U.N. Committee Against Torture issued a report Friday calling for the prisonÂ’s closure. (Full story)
    Earlier Friday, three other prisoners attempted to kill themselves by swallowing pills they had hoarded, but the Pentagon said later that only two of those were serious attempts.
    There have been 41 suicide attempts since the camp opened in January 2002, with a number of those made by the same inmate, Pentagon sources said.
    The Associated Press reported that JumaÂ’a Mohammed al-Dossary, a 32-year-old from Bahrain, has attempted suicide 12 times.
    CNNÂ’s Barbara Starr and Jamie McIntyre contributed to this report.
    Go ahead poser, explain it away dude. Thought you'd prefer the CNN version instead of the Fox one. The CNN version makes the US look soooooo much worse.

Poster X
    You just now getting hip to the fact that almost every news source reports the same event differently?

redneckcharlie
    hey bagboy, michael moore is not a news source!!!!!!!!!

SmokinLowriderSS
    You just now getting hip to the fact that almost every news source reports the same event differently?
    Oh yea, "editing".
    Looks like quite CREATIVE editing to me.
    Mikey's version looks pretty inocuous to the prisoner perspective, mean old GI's stopping 4 of their fellows from killing themselves to get some virgins. Looks a bit skimpy on DETAIL tho.
    The seccond seems to include detail items proving the contention that it was a setup as an attack against the guards.
    The attacking the guards with items avaibale becomes "Tries to stop soldiers from "rescuing" (from what, their own stupidity?) the detainees who are trying to kill themselves". Just "reporting it differently" I guess?
    Also, MM's version makes it look like everyone was trying their suicide at the same time, in the same room, which aparently is entirely false. Same room MAYBE (no evidence to the contrary), same time, NO. MM's Creative Editing at it's finest I dare say?

Poster X
    One tells you what you want to hear and the other is opposite of what you want to believe. The routine is as old as the Bible. No real problem here. If you want to hate Michael Moore you can find lot's of reasons to do so. Just like Bush. I can find lot's of reasons to hate him. Everybody gets what they want and somewhere in the middlle lays the truth.

redneckcharlie
    what a bunch of sidetalking dribble. first off, you got your usual anti bush plug in. just out of curiosity, how would you describe a child molester that lived across the street from you? from your last statement, i think it would go something like this: Homeowner, loves children, will baby sit for free, has references. if it walks like a duck, quaks like a duck, looks like a duck, its a fricken duck! for me its very simple, if i ask a question, and get a half truth, slanted, and ommited statement, its a lie! there is only one reason to slant something, and that is to ommit the truth. :argue: oh one more thing, tell me one thing bush is responsible for that has affected your life?

Poster X
    Bush is writing a check our great great grandchildren can't pay. Whether you like it or not you are getting slanted news and debating it as true. You happen to believe FOX. Don't think for a minute you don't get favorable news, because they indeed favor the right. It's people like you that keep me from using my food stamps to buy cigarettes and beer. Know where I can get my hands on one of those hurricane credit cards?

Old Texan
    There ya go Charlie, words from the 3rd Wiseman...... or was it the 3rd Stooge, I forget.....
    We get our news from conventional sources whereas our buddy is tuned into a higher network. I wonder which planet his satelite revolves around.

Poster X
    In my opinion I'm from the planet of information from a variety of sources and a wary eye on the status quo. We don't get a lot of visitors because the name is so long.

SmokinLowriderSS
    In my opinion I'm from the planet of information from a variety of sources and a wary eye on the status quo. We don't get a lot of visitors because the name is so long.
    Stooge, definitely.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast