Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need engine specs.

lghtnin33
    Hello all, I was refered over to you from my outdrive friends, they said that you guys were excellent motor builders which i dont doubt in the least.My delema is I was needing to know if any of you could tell me where i can find out how to marinize a car or truck motor.I am needing the internal specs. and clearances of what makes a marine motor different from an automobile engine.And to make this problem even more difficult a FORD to top it all off.Any info on this subject would be most helpful, thanks in advance.
    lghtnin33

superdave013
    go to the v-drive fourm and ask 058. He's a ford guy that is in the know!

ponponracing
    He buddy, you are asking the enginebuilders to give you their receipts. Sorry, I don't want to loose my job. And if I tell you specs, you use them and for any reason you loose your motor, I don't think you will be proud of me...

lghtnin33
    Sorry, ponponracing did not mean to put all the marine engine builders out of a job.I was only asking for ford specs. in a virtual world of fat block chevys.I do not intend to start a manufacturing plant of marine engines or I would'nt have had to ask for marine motor specs. And if you are that worried about losing your job or money why do you even support this forum?,because it is loaded with tips that help boaters save time and money.

ponponracing
    I support this forum to help people that are trying to get out of trouble, or try to avoid it. But when you talk about building a complete motor, it's a different deal.
    It's like a student pilot asking how to drive a space shuttle, I mean you ask for informations that may take you many years to find by yourself, or to receive from someone else and understand. And after you receive all knowledge, nothing tells you will apply it properly.
    Yeah, you're probably right, I should probably not be on this forum

DetroitJim
    Well, here's my opinion and who cares what anyone else thinks, says, or does. It doesn't bother me in the least. Anyway, the engine does not know or care who's name is on the valve covers. Rod and Main bearing clearance is no different than any other performance application, about 0.002 to 0.003 is fine. Do not run tight clearances as used for a low rpm stock motor. Piston clearance is usually increased by 0.001 on a marine engine due to colder operating temperatures. Top ring gaps should be a few thou big, keep valve guides on the loose side of stock specs. No narrow valve seats either. Brass freeze plugs, marine carb, distributor and starter, thats it. Go have fun in your boat.
    Jim

superdave013
    So what type of engine are you building?? I could send you the build sheets for a few engines the show just about everything. Even part #'s. But as ponponracing told you, you will have to apply it correctly. I have made mistakes and fired up a new engine just to hear it eat it's self. Oh is the learning curve costly! And I am still learning more every time!

superdave013
    Opps, i only have build sheets on big bolck chevys.

fryzll
    Jeez ponpon, nobody is asking you to give em a warranty, they are just asking a few simple questions so lighten up a little bud. I have read some of your post and it seems that you do give off some negative vibes at times. So I guess if if you dont want to give any advise or even a good word then dont even reply to his question, simple as that. We learn by taking advise and making mistakes which we have made, and if we dont make that mistake again then guess what? we learned something.
    lghtnin33, DetroitJim is correct about the clearences on the bearings and pistons. If you use a good performance machine shop then the can really help you out when you get the block and crank machined, most of them will give out that "TOP SECRET" info without a secret hand shake http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif There are some really knowlegeable people on this board so you shouldnt have any prob gettin good advice.Good luck on it.
    Chris

ponponracing
    May you didn't pick it the way I tried to say it but I was trying to answer kind of a funny way. But I guess my sense of humor was not expressed the right way this time.
    What I tried to say is that people wrote books about how to build performance motor, and lghtnin33 was looking for a quick answer that might need 300 pages to answer.
    By the way, I don't fell I have engines tricks to hide. I'm not a racer who developed something special to win everything that is called racing, I'm just an engine builder that try to put performance motors together the right way. If you want my "tricks", find one of my engines somewhere and take it apart, everything is there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast