Thread: Timing ( again )

shagmebabe
    I timed by engine by the book ( 32 @ 3000 ) pings like a bitch at 4100 RPm, retime to 28 @ 3000 pings like a bitch. Is it possible that the cam is off time or the dampner slipped ? What is the best way to check? any help

HammerDown
    Is it possible that the cam is off time or the dampner slipped ? What is the best way to check? any help
    Easy...bring #1 piston up to top-dead center (compression stroke), line on dampner should be @ zero on the timing tab.
    Another way is with a Top Dead Center tool _bolt) in #1 spark plug hole...(carefully) rotate engine (by hand) till the piston stops dead on tool then, rotate engine the other way...note the marks and split the differance. Should also be ZERO-0 on the timing tab.

shagmebabe
    Thanks on the TDC. Now........ on the cam, how can you tell if it is in time or, is the slipped dampner the only possibility ?

SmokinLowriderSS
    The cam, if the CHAIN SLIPPED a notch, would I think tend to retard the timing, as I don't think the cam would tend to jump ahead.
    Pull the timing cover and see if it lines up properly same time as TDC check for balancer. Also see just how much slack is in the chain.
    My bets are on the balancer ring, how old is it?

PC Rat
    If you rev the engine past 3000 rpms, does the timing continue to advance? If so, what is the total timing and at what rpm does it stop advancing?
    Brian

Moneypitt
    If you rev the engine past 3000 rpms, does the timing continue to advance? If so, what is the total timing and at what rpm does it stop advancing?
    Brian
    Bingo........

SmokinLowriderSS
    Brian
    Yea, just never thought of the stops not stopping things. Would sure do it.

shagmebabe
    Brian
    O.k I think I got it. Ill Check it out tonight. If the stops are not stopping, what do I do? Come to think of it..... This all started when I installed the new HEI. Hmmmm Ill be dammed.
    Thanks guys