Thread: Motor Oil Changes

Wet Dream
    How often are you guys changing your motor oil? The reason I'm asking is coming out of an NA motor and getting into a blower motor, I've noticed that my oil darkened quickly (1 hour max run time). Its not black or burnt, but darkened like it has 2000 miles on it. I know the bearings take alot more abuse and stress from the motor, but is this normal?

acatitude
    I,m surely no motor builder or expert but being b;lack after an hour doesnt sound right. If you have a cooler maybe you still had a lot of old oil in ther, im not sure what to tell ya... I have a 588 dart w/1471 and i change at 20 hours. I have about 17 on it now and it still looks decent. i change all motor oil, drive oil and usually change plugs at about 20 hours. i use valvoline racing 20-50. good luck

Wet Dream
    Thats what I was thinking. The oil cooler alone holds more than a quart, add the filter, and all the plumbing and with the oil change, I only put in 8 quarts to the 10qt pan, so it may have some residual color in there. The oil does not smell burnt or gassy. I may do one more change before my next time out.

T-Bag'n
    Oil is cheap I also do 20 hr services on motor and drive.

acatitude
    maybe the amount of oil is a little of it. mine holds 14 1/2 quarts when totally dry, to fill pan filter, cooler and all lines.

JMC
    My oil cooler, oil lines and rocker sprayer hoses trap quite a bit of oil as well, but I really dont think that is the culprit. I agree with BlownCarrera on the oil getting dirty in an hour, you should be able to put 5-10 hrs on the engine and the oil still look fairly clean. How about a brief rundown on the engine? How many hours on it? What oil and what filter?
    Detergent oils will get dark very quickly.