Thread: CA guys, need some info please

K5Mitch
    When I get back from an upcoming deployment, I'll be heading out to CA from KS to pick up a boat (23' Avenger cruiser). The boat hasn't been used in three years, I'd assume that was the last time it was registered. What kind of taxes/penalties can I expect when I go to do the title work on the boat and trailer? And will I be able to have the registration sent to my KS residence? I tried searching around the internet some, and just got some vague information on registration fees and tax collectors.
    Here's the boat I'll be grabbing.
    http://ke5bvc.info/avenger/avenger%201.JPG

Boatcop
    If you are buying the boat and taking it back to Kansas, there should be no back taxes or fees you'll be liable for.
    Just get a 3 day temporary use permit for the trailer that will allow you to drive it back. Then all you'll need to do is take the signed off title(s) and bills of sale to the Kansas Motor Vehicle folks (or whoever does boats out there) and swap it all over.

K5Mitch
    I should have thought of that
    :hammerhea

lakewake
    Boatcop is a good man!

ThongMagnet
    Nice boat.
    Be sure to
    1)Put a new set of tires on the trailer.
    2)Grease up the buddy bearings,
    3)Make sure your hitch height and ball size are correct.
    4)Trailer lights work
    5)Check trailer bunks for wood rot (Don't want a bunk support going through hull as its bouncing around.
    6)Take it slow, and pull over to inspect.
    I'm sure others will add to this list, to help you have a safer trip home. Whats that, about 900 miles?

burtandnancy
    Between Boat Cop and Thong Magnet, they about covered it. The trailer and tire deal is very important. Boat trailer tires rarely wear out, they rot and fall apart after 2/3 years. And some of our local freeways will beat things apart quickly, so the bunk suggestion is good. Spare tire, bottle jack, floor jack and some 4 x 4 blocks of wood won't hurt either. You'll get plenty of good advise before you do the deal...

termiteguy
    Nice boat.
    Be sure to
    1)Put a new set of tires on the trailer.
    2)Grease up the buddy bearings,
    3)Make sure your hitch height and ball size are correct.
    4)Trailer lights work
    5)Check trailer bunks for wood rot (Don't want a bunk support going through hull as its bouncing around.
    6)Take it slow, and pull over to inspect.
    I'm sure others will add to this list, to help you have a safer trip home. Whats that, about 900 miles?
    that is some dam good advise !!!!!!!!!!!

bilgewiper
    I'v always made it a habit that when I stop for a break/etc that I feel the axel hubs for excess temp. If you have one running hot because of lack of grease or a bad bearing it will be running very hot as opposed to just very warm.

LHC Kirby
    BUT put on good tires - NOT CARLISLE (spelling might be off) and I am suprised I am the first to say this!

bubbletop409
    I'm with you bilgewiper on checking the hub temp, and LHC KIRBY on the Carlisles. Check my hubs at every stop, and am in the process of replacing my Carlisles as I type. If that trailer has surge drum brakes, it may also be a good idea to make sure they are not dragging. Had that happen once on an old trailer after sitting for one winter, rusted up and applied when I used my truck brakes, but would not release and function properly, food for thought.