Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do boats have titles? Newbie here.

Claude
    Hello everyone. I'm considering the purchase of a project boat. I know of one locally, its an old Johnson boat. Its over 20 feet and its a tri hull design, if i'm using the term correctly. It has a small block chevy engine in it now but I would be replacing that with another chevy engine I have as I'm sure this one doesn't run. Now my question is this, do boats have titles like cars? Seriously this boat could be had for a couple hundred bucks. It has an Ohio number on the side of it, I'm not sure what that number is for, is it like a registration number like a lisence tag on a car?
    I have good plans for the boat. The hull is in great shape, but the seats are completely rotten. I can fix that easily though. I live in Ohio but we have a house in Florida in Sarasota as well. The boat would probably be staying down there most of the time as the only other place to take it around were I live would be the Ohio river.
    So any help for a new guy wanting to live a life on the water would be much apreciated!!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    Yes, they have Hull numbers, like a VIN number, should be imprinted into the hull somewhere, and an ownership title. Then they have a registration # we call them CF#s here in cali, because they all start with a CF, or AZ or arizona, then followed by a series of numbers. Enjoy your project!

HM
    Man, that is the stinkiest bait. I'll give it an 8 on the trollability scale.

shadow
    Thats what i was thinking. :idea:
    Lets see what happens.Good luck with your project Claude.

Claude
    What if the boat owner doesn't have the said title for it? Is there an easy way to obtain a replacement or is it like a car and doomed forever?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    I thought maybe too, but I figured I'd be nice, nonetheless. Unless given reason not to, of course. :crossx:

Claude
    I thought maybe too, but I figured I'd be nice, nonetheless. Unless given reason not to, of course. :crossx:
    Wow I'm learning boater lingo!
    I gota start somewere. And with my nature with anything this project is right up my alley.

HM
    Wow I'm learning boater lingo!
    I gota start somewere. And with my nature with anything this project is right up my alley.
    Now, you're just focking with me. LOL! That was pretty subtle and smooth.

shadow
    What if the boat owner doesn't have the said title for it? Is there an easy way to obtain a replacement or is it like a car and doomed forever?
    Owner should be able to go to motor vehicle dept and file for lost title.
    Either that or however your state works go in the motor vehicles and claim it abandoned and take the proper steps to obtain a title.
    my first boat was a tri hull,sat in the rain for years,seats falling apart,engine apart and pieces every where.Total pile o shit.I rebuilt the engine,re upholstered it,carpet,painted the trailer,new tires,gauges,you name it.turned out nice but nickle dimed me to death.spent about 5X what the boat was actually worth.Turned out to be fun and i saw the same boat in parker several years later still sea worthy.make sure you are ready to dump a grip of $$ into it.

Claude
    So what do I do if the boat owner doesn't have the title? Is ther a way to get a new one?
    Edit*IGNORE* wow this forum moves fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast