Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do trim tabs do????????????????????

EMCAM
    how to stop the rear of a boat stop dancing. Its a 21 ft hallett ss with blown big block at 70/75 it starts the dancing. will tabs help. any info helps.Its my buddys boat and i have a jet so i have very little knoledge on this.

dicudmore
    trim tabs will push the bow down a bit and help with chine walk (side to side rocking)

Havasu Hangin'
    trim tabs will push the bow down a bit and help with chine walk (side to side rocking)...
    ...and scrub off some speed.

dicudmore
    ...and scrub off some speed.
    haha ya think :idea:

EMCAM
    this boat hasent even reached it potent speed yet we are not even in the secondarys at 70mph this boat and motor has 90 mph + if the dancining stops

Havasu Hangin'
    Loose = fast
    Too loose = fast swim
    Tabs will fix it, but it's not fun to spend all that money on HP...and have to give some speed away. I would try a different prop first- you may be lifting the stern too much.

JustDawn
    ...Try counter steering.
    My v-bottom starts to chine about 80,A friend of mine with a LOT of seat time in fast V's taught me the fine art of counter steering through the chine...it seems to help.
    I usually run my tabs(280-s,offshore tabs) about 3 on the indicator,this way you don't bury the nose and run the risk of stuffing into an on coming roller...(PlayDeep)

EMCAM
    ok let me ask this will a shorter lower unit help along with trim tabs

EMCAM
    Is there any special types of trim tabs,better brands,styles????????????????

Go Ciggie
    EMCAM,
    if your considering a shorter unit, I am assuming it is a stern drive.
    You may want to check the side to side play in the steering of the unit by grabbing the outdrive at the cav plate and see if you can move it side to side.. If you don't have hydro steering(EXTERNAL STEERING a must at those speeds), you may have slop in the gimble and the drive is wondering at speeds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast