Thread: DIST. CURVE FOR 460 HELP MISTER & 058

WATERROCKET
    I JUST INSTALLED THE ELECTRONIC CONVERSION KIT FOR MY PRESTOLITE. THE SPRINGS SEEM TO BE DIFFERANT STRENTS. CAN YOU GUYS RECOMEND SOME SPRINGS THAT WOULD WORK WELL FOR ME? AND ALSO A TIMMING NUMBER?
    THANKS......................................

Hydro-Thunder
    I jus asked the same qusetion not long ago and the answers I got were 36-38 total timing in by 3000 rpm. Hope this helps.
    Jesse

36-38 total all in by 3K works good for most 460s. Unless you have something with ultra high compresson, supercharged or nitrous those specs should work fine. If your starter will handle it use 18-20 deg initial without exceeding the total. That will perk it up on the low end.

WATERROCKET
    THANKS 058, YOU GOT ANY IDEA ON WHAT SPRINGS I SHOULD RUN BECAUSE WHATS IN IT DOES NOT LOOK RIGHT, ONE STIFF SPRING AND ONE LIGHT SPRING...................................

spectras only
    Waterrocket, prestolites came with the spring setup like yours.Light spring=inital advance ,heavy spring with oval shaped loop is the secondary spring to delay the full advance function when the flyweights open to the point where the looped side of the spring makes contact with the spring's post .Worked well for decades why replace it? It works well for jets ,because of instant full RPM's on take off.

WATERROCKET
    JUST CHECKING, DID NOT KNOW IF IT WAS RIGHT OR NOT. THANKS FOR THE INFO. JD

WATERROCKET
    GUYS, I TRIED TO SET MY TIMMING BUT THERE IS NO DEGREE MARKS. ALL THERE IS IS A SINGLE LINE ON THE BALANCER AND A POINTER COMMING OFFTHE BLOCK?????????
    GOT ANY IDEAS. JD

What balancer is on the engine? Usually FoMoCo balancers are degreed to atleast 30 deg. BTDC and 10 deg. ATDC. If its an oddball balancer or an aftermarket you may have to degree it yourself. While your at it you might as well index/correct the timing mark, sometimes they can be off as much as 3 or 4 degs.

spectras only
    waterrocket, as 058 said the ford balancers marked up to 30 degrees.I've bought a tape from a speedshop and put it on the balancer ,and made markings up to 36 degrees total.The tapes usually don't stay on for long ,so you may want to engrave the markings to be permanent.