Thread: Cam buttons?

jester
    How do I install a cam button in a BBC with a hydraulic roller cam? Does the button continually push against the timing cover or should there be some clearance? If so, how much? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks, Jester

1tricky1
    I believe the button is suppose to just touch the cover to prevent any type of "cam walk". I just installed one on my BBC with a stock chrome GM timing cover and it appeared like it was just barely touching.

wsm9808
    Comp and Crane have told me to run about .006 endplay with a hydraulic roller. If your button does touch the cover with no play and too much pressure it could cause the timing gear to wear the the face of the block.

Tinkerboater
    I set mine up for just a slight clearence .010. With everything installed and the cover torqued down if you knock on the front cover where the cam button is you should hear a second knock ( the cover hitting the cam button ) If the cover hits the cam button constanty it may wear a hole in the cover. Too much clearence and the roller bearing behind the cam gear will come out of its slot.
    [This message has been edited by Tinkerboater (edited June 18, 2002).]