Thread: Pumps apart

MISSING
    Took apart my pump to figure out the noise and there is nothing between the wear ring and the impeller. The noise seems to be coming from the packing/bearing area. Hopefully nothing too serious. There also seems to be a little play in the shaft with the impeller out, not more than 1/10 of an inch or so(not much...maybe 2-3 mm in metric) Is this a big deal, or will it probably get fixed with the noise? I am concerned about any malfunctions at high speeds, Anyone know what happens if the pump malfunctions at 70+ mph? Also, do Aggressor impellers fit berkeley pumps? Thanks

Rampager
    what was the origional problem?
    whats the play in the shaft? is it with the bowl on or off? I believe there is a little with the bowl removed because the shaft is no longer supported at the rear.
    Whats your clearances between imp and wear ring? both forward and dia?
    I just rebuilt a pump, its very easy if you take your time
    Give us more info
    Cheers

HotDogz
    Aggressor Impellers do fit Berk pumps. But I learned the hard way that the sizing is different from Aggressor to Berk. An Aggressor A is the equivelant of a Berk AA. Aggressors displace more water.

MISSING
    We took out the thrust bearing and it is in rough shape. I'm either going to rebuild or use a differant pump. The original problem was noise coming from the thrust bearing, wear ring, packing area. Apparently it was the bearing. Anyways, the pump that I will probably use now was rebuilt by my dad years ago but never used. It seems good, no play without the bowl or impeller. The shaft spins with no noise, but with some effort...compared to the pooched pump. So basically I just need to get a new impeller and wear ring for it. What is an aggressor B cut equivelant to in Berkeley terms? Thanks

When i rebuilt mine i thought i had a problem with the play too but from what i was told alittle play is normal when you dont have the bowl on, expeically when you dont have the packing rings in.

SmokinLowriderSS
    At least you found the bad thrust bearing before it gave out. I have seen pix on here of destroyed suction pieces and know of at least 1 ruined engine from the shaft moving fwd and grinding on stuff.
    An Agressor impeller equates to a Berk about 1 size larger than the Agressor.meaning:
    Agressor AA = Berk AAA
    Agressor A = Berk AA
    Agressor B = Berk A
    Agressor C = Berk B