Thread: WJ to Berk

abraman1326
    I am looking at perhaps replacing my WJ Jacuzzi pump w/ a Berkley if the price is right. Am I looking at more work than I want, or is this an easy swap. How does the pump fit in the transom. Am I looking at having to do a bunch of glass work to fill the size difference? Sorry I'm a little lame, just asking before I get into this and find out it's not worth the hassle. Thanks...
    BRA

Boatcop
    It would be easier and probably cheaper to get a Jacuzzi Energizer kit or other conversion to allow the Jacuzzi to accept Berkely parts.
    No hull mods required.
    I'd post a link, but it would probably get pulled, since it wouldn't be an "approved" advert.
    Do a google search on Jacuzzi to Berkely conversion or similar and you'll get the info you want. There's also several discussions on here that deal with the subject.

abraman1326
    Thank you so much. I have been thinking about the energizer kit, just looking at all options before I make a final decision.
    On another note. Do you know if there are any differences between the yoke on a 460, and on a 454? I have a buddy talkijng about doing what I was thinking abd swapping his 460 to a 454. He has the WJ pump, and wanted to know if there was a difference between the yokes that connect the motor to the pump. I told him I thought there was, but figures I'd ask the experts. Again, thanks in advance?
    BRA
    PS, PM me the link, I'd like to see what else I can get from a jet pump store.

wsuwrhr
    There are so many things you could do to the pump/bowl before you by an energizer.
    The Jacuzzi WJ is already a mixed flow pump.
    It ain't no Berk, but from the picture it looks like you have a cruiser and not a race boat. What are your goals?
    I would just stick with what you got, do a little work to your pump you have.
    Much cheaper in the long run.
    Changing to a Berk from a Jacuzzi involves glassing in the bottom of your boat and changing the shape to accept a Berk jet intake. It ain't no easy swap out.
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    Thank you so much. I have been thinking about the energizer kit, just looking at all options before I make a final decision.
    On another note. Do you know if there are any differences between the yoke on a 460, and on a 454? I have a buddy talkijng about doing what I was thinking abd swapping his 460 to a 454. He has the WJ pump, and wanted to know if there was a difference between the yokes that connect the motor to the pump. I told him I thought there was, but figures I'd ask the experts. Again, thanks in advance?
    BRA
    PS, PM me the link, I'd like to see what else I can get from a jet pump store.
    Yokes are no different, 1310 driveline(small) 1350 driveline(big), the only difference is the PTO, which is the peice of steel bolted the the crank that your yoke is bolted to.
    Brian

abraman1326
    Great, thanks for the advice.
    I did find out I was wrong though. I have a YJ pump. So I'm thinking an energizer is needed. I guess that's why is was such a slug in the water last year.
    My goals aren't performance, it's just a family cruiser. Just something to get around the lake tube and ski behind. I'll get the performance boat in a few years, the I'll really be having some fun...
    Thank you for all the help...
    BRA

wsuwrhr
    Yj for sure, I can't offer you advise on that one.
    Proabably need SOMETHING then.
    Brian
    Great, thanks for the advice.
    I did find out I was wrong though. I have a YJ pump. So I'm thinking an energizer is needed. I guess that's why is was such a slug in the water last year.
    My goals aren't performance, it's just a family cruiser. Just something to get around the lake tube and ski behind. I'll get the performance boat in a few years, the I'll really be having some fun...
    Thank you for all the help...
    BRA